7 Body care tips for your period

If you have just started having your period, you may be worried about how you can keep yourself clean and fresh during this time of the month.

Seven tips that will help you feel comfortable:

1.       Choose a method that is best for your needs. There are many types of sanitary wear to choose from, e.g. tampons, pads, menstrual cups or pantyliners. Try out one at a time and see which it is right for you – check out this article for more help.

2.       Change your pad/tampon every 4-6 hours. Not changing the pad or tampon enough times may cause a skin rash or infection. On the first 2 days, it’s better to change it every 3 hours.

3.       Throw away the pad/tampon correctly. It’s a good idea to wrap it up in a tissue or newspaper and throw it in the bin. Don’t flush it down the toilet, because it may block the toilet.

4.       Bath. Clean your vagina with warm water. You can use a gentle soap on the outside parts of the vagina, but never use soap on the inside.

5.       Wear clean panties. Dirty underwear can smell, so it’s important to change your underwear every day.

6.       Be ready. Always have a pad or tampon in your bag, just in case your period starts without warning.

7.       Practice safe sex. The chances of getting and passing infections in the blood are higher at this time, so make sure to use a condom every time you have sex.

For more information on periods and puberty, check out our section, Know your Body: Girls Body Guide.

Likes

B-Wise User Angiebotha@gemail.com 3 July 2020 21:42

Can the injection that you get to stop jour period make you pregnant

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 July 2020 17:14

No it can't

B-Wise User Angiebotha@gemail.com 3 July 2020 21:39

How do you know your gone be on jour period

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 July 2020 17:13

You will usually get more discharge than usual. You can also get an app on your phone that tracks periods

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 May 2020 23:50

Hi what happens when u do not get ur period and u 19

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 May 2020 16:20

Some people get their periods late. I recommend that you go to the clinic or a doctor to get checked to make sure everything is okay. You will get referred to a gynaecologist

B-Wise User Kaykay 12 May 2020 22:32

Hi im soo to be 12 and I already have discharge on my panties...does that mean that I'm almost gonna start my period or what

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2020 11:57

Firstly, discharge at that age is normal. The discharge helps to clean your vagina. It means your period is on the way. It can take up to a year for a period to come after discharge starts.

B-Wise User Hdannids 10 May 2020 17:31

Hii im Hannah I'm 13 years old and I want to know why I don't have my periods yet if I developed breast in grade 4 and now I'm in grade 7 why??

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 May 2020 11:21

Hi Hannah, Periods come at different ages for everyone. Some people get them really early while some get them a bit later. It is normal to be 13 without a period. Wait a bit and it will come.

B-Wise User Happyness 3 June 2018 09:49

I got 1day period every month for 3 month I am starting to get worried because I am not pregnant when I use pregnant test and I am not taking any contraceptive for 6 years now . I that normal?

B-Wise Expert Expert 3 June 2018 11:25

Hi there Happyness. We would recommend that you visit your doctor or a nurse at your local clinic. They will be able to check you up and give you the correct treatment that you need.

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 June 2018 18:43

I have a problem of not seeing my periods normal, like now last month I saw them but this month I didn't even i even bought a pregnancy test is negative it does like this every month plz help my friends say it's my hormones please help don't know what to do anymore. What's wrong with my periods?

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2018 19:35

Hi there, thank you for your question. Many medications used to prevent pregnancy work by changing your menstrual cycle (period). This means that the time and length of your period may change. The best thing is to go  to the clinic so they can check you and give you the right treatment .

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 June 2018 00:06

If im not ready to have a child now what type of a needle "injection" should i use ???... And what is the effects ?

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2018 12:45

Hi there, thank you for your question. If you want to prevent from having a child, its best that you go to the local clinic to get a contraception. You can read this article to learn about the different contraception. Different kinds of contraceptives and family planning: options to prevent pregnancy