Ask an Expert

Do you have a question about your health? Ask us in the comment section below, and we'll get a health expert to answer it.

Add a Comment/Question
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.


Anonymous 23 May 2017 08:16

hi I have a 6 years old daughter nd now she got smelly armpits so I was wondering how to get rid of the smelly armpits. have Google but did not find any help. plz help maybe recommend something.

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 May 2017 11:14

Hi Anonymous, Thank you for sending your question to B-Wise. Body odour is not common in children before puberty, so we are really glad you reached out to B-Wise for help. Your daughter's body oudor could be caused by one of two things. It may be an illness,  or it may be what we call precautious puberty. This is early puberty, before ages 8 and 9 in girls and boys. Look for other signs of puberty like breasts and pubic or armpit hair. 

If it is an illness, it would be caused by a bacterial infection that antibiotics can treat. Visiting your clinic is the best thing to do in this case.

If it is early puberty, you still need to visit your nearest clinic, to confirm that it is early puberty and get a check-up.For right now, it is best you keep your daughters clothes and bedding clean. You can also use a very mild deodorant, but check first that she doesn’t have sensitive skin. Either way, it is important that you take her to your nearest clinic for a proper check-up. If you aren't sure where to find your nearest clinic, have a look at the newly launched Clinic Finder on B-Wise here: You can also rate the clinic after your visit, and we will share your feedback with the Department of Health, but we won't share any of your details with them.

Anonymous 22 May 2017 10:26

hi, I have suddenly developed sort of a cut on my private part it's painful and my stomach feels bloated . I have had unsafe sex with my boyfriend last weekend. so I am afraid to get tested for HIV nd STI'S

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 May 2017 08:04

Hi Anonymous, there could be many reasons why developed cuts on your private parts. It is important that you visit your nearest clinic to be seen and checked by a health care worker and have an HIV test done. If you and your boyfriend would like to test together, many clinics offer couples HIV counselling and testing. Sometimes people are scared to test, but if you are HIV positive, finding it out early will make sure that you are able to receive treatment early and will also make sure you remain healthy. If you test HIV negative, you will be able to take steps to protect yourself to ensure that you remain HIV negative. Condoms are very important and need to be used every time you have sex in order to offer the most protection against STIs and HIV.

Ramtee7 17 May 2017 13:39

what is a non communicable diseases that can be passed via smoking?

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2017 11:58

Hi, Ramtee7. Non-communicable diseases are diseases that can’t be passed from person to person. There are many factors that can put a person at risk of getting one of these diseases. Smoking is one of these factors because it can make a person more likely to get diseases such heart disease, strokes, cancers, diabetes and joint diseases. 

Mumzat 15 May 2017 08:24

i stopped breastfeeding my baby after he reach six feeding him nestle nestum baby cereal with baby milk for babies from six months problem is when he is toileting.his feaces are always hard.i tried constipation meds but its not working.what to do for him to have soft feaces while toileting.

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 May 2017 18:15

Hi, Mumzat, “Well done on breastfeeding baby for 6 months – breast milk is the best for young babies so that they grow up healthy and strong.

It is important to remember that babies still need milk after introducing solid foods – this could either be breast milk or formula milk, as you’ve said. He might need more milk, if he seems very thirsty. This could be a place to start. If you are still concerned, the best thing to do would be to talk to the Sister when you take baby for the next well baby visit – they can give you advice on your baby, and check him to make sure he is otherwise well.”

Ano 6 May 2017 21:10

Hi..i had sex for the first time this year and it was very painful but i thought its because i was a virgin but the second time i had it ,it was still painful. now whenever i insert a tampon or a finger it hurts.i dnt have STI bcoz i used a condom.when i googled i came across something called vaginismus and using dilators or doingkegel exercises to cure it. My question will the pain go away if i have sex regularly or i need to see a gynae and which hospitals in p.e can i go to for help.

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 May 2017 13:15

Hi Ano, thank you so much for your question. There are many reasons why you may experience pain during and after having sexual intercourse. It is possible that you are experiencing this pain because you only recently started having sex. When you have sex for the first time, there is a layer called the hymen that gets broken, so this might be what caused you pain. But there are other reasons that could explain why you're having pain after sex. One reason could be that you do not have enough lubrication during sex. This causes roughness and scratches on the vaginal walls.  Another possible reason could be if you were feeling tense or uncomfortable during sex and therefore tensing the vaginal muscles creating roughness and pain. Vaginismus is also a possible cause, but a doctor would have to diagnose you, after examining you.

In PE, you can visit can visit any public hospital and they will examine you. Once you have been seen by the doctor they will make a diagnosis and refer you to a gynae if necessary. You can also do this if you use private health providers: Start with a GP and they will refer you if it is necessary.

Anonymous 6 May 2017 21:06

Hi..i had sex for the first time this year and it was very painful but i thought its because i was a virgin but the second time i had it ,it was still painful. now whenever i insert a tampon or a finger it hurts.i dnt have STI bcoz i used a condom.when i googled i came across something called vaginismus and using dilators or doingkegel exercises to cure it. My question will the pain go away if i have sex regularly or i need to see a gynae and which hospitals in p.e can i go to for help.

Shaun 6 May 2017 16:05

My friend was always menstruating everyday he tells me almost all his secret so i dont see any problem of menstruating so what sickness is he gonna get infected

Thank you for your question. We have sent it to an expert and will get back to you within 48 hours with a response.
Shaun 6 May 2017 16:02


Mumzat 4 May 2017 20:08

Hi im hiv positive and i started arv after ive found out that im two months pregnat.even after giving birth im still on baby took blood test and results came asking about the six months period whereby i must breastfeed without formula or any food given to my do i calculate six months?for example my child born 7 march 2017. do i count to 07 september2017 or month end of september 2017

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 May 2017 15:43

Hi Mumzat, it’s good to know you were able to find out about your HIV status early in your pregnancy and we’re glad to hear that your baby is HIV negative. To make sure that your baby stays negative, it’s important that you take your ARVs every day and on time. It’s definitely recommended that you breastfeed only, without giving formula or any food given to your child for the first six months. Regarding calculating the months, it should be until 7 September 2017. If you still have any questions, it is best you talk to a nurse next time you take your baby to the clinic. You can also sign up for MomConnect on *134*550*2 #

BWise Moderators 4 May 2017 16:02

Naledi â??Amzolele Phikeâ?? asked on Facebook:Good day. I would kike to know if you can take laxative while on arvs? Or is there something else to use? Thnx

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 May 2017 16:05

Hi, Naledi, It is not a good idea to use anything that causes diarrhoea, as the body does not need to be cleaned by vomiting or diarrhoea. Doing this can be dangerous. It causes a water imbalance and imbalance of other important things in your body called electrolytes. This can also be dangerous if you are taking ARVs, because it can make your viral load high and CD4 count low. This which leads to a low immune system, which can make you sick. If you are feeling that you don't have enough energy, try taking a multivitamin or vitamin B. It is also a good idea to visit your clinic or doctor for a check-up.H

Anonymous 3 May 2017 12:05

LucMajolla Majolla asked on Twitter: ,yini eniyenzayo ukuba ukuqwashisa kufinyelele ezindawen ezisakhaya,la engekho khona lama SN,nolwazi lwalezizifo enikhuluma ngazo?

B-Wise Expert Expert 3 May 2017 12:08

Udokotela noma umhlengikazi emtholampilo wangakini bayatholakala ukuthi bakusize ngemibuzo yezempilo, kodwa uB-Wise uyatholakala noma ikuphi uma nje une isignali kucellphone yakho.

Anonymous 23 April 2017 10:50

Hi. I want to know about petogen injection. I took it on the 04th of April and I haven't been on my periods since. What could have caused this?

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 April 2017 19:13

Petogen is a type of contraceptive injection that only contains the hormone progestogen. Progestogen can stop a woman’s menstrual bleeding or causing you to bleed heavily.  Don’t worry, the blood does not build up in your body and you will not become sick by not getting your period. If you are very worried about this, please go back to your clinic to speak to a healthcare worker. 

masobility 21 April 2017 19:38

Hi,ive been having sex with my partner without the use o condom nd im hvi positive ,what will happen after that?

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 April 2017 19:15

It’s great that you know your HIV status, does your partner know their status? If your partner is HIV negative, then they are at risk of getting infected with HIV. Your partner needs to be tested as soon as possible. If they are negative then they may need to take antiretroviral pills called PEP to prevent them from being infected with HIV. PEP needs to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex... so act fast!  Whether your partner is HIV positive or negative, you still need to use condoms every time you have sex. If you are not on treatment (ARVs), you need to start taking them to lower the HIV virus in your blood.

Anonymous 27 February 2017 13:10

Hello, I am having my period for the first time since October, any idea why it stopped in the first place?

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 February 2017 15:29

Hi Anonymous, It is normal if you don’t get your period every month while you are young, but it also could be a sign that you are pregnant. If you have sex without using a condom, there is even a chance that you could have been pregnant and had a miscarriage without knowing it. It is important that you go to the clinic to be sure. Sometimes using contraceptives like the injection, sub dermal implant or some IUDs to prevent pregnancy can also stop your period, but it is best to speak to a doctor or nurse to be sure that is the cause. 

Anonymous 22 February 2017 11:28

I am 15 year old and never used any contraceptive but i am not getting my circle is irregular.

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 February 2017 11:51

Hi anonymous, we need clarification on your question: (is the period irregular or are you not getting it at all?).If you have not started getting your period at all there is no need to panic, as people start having their periods at different ages depending on their development. The normal ages of starting periods is between ages 10 to 18.

If you are having irregular periods, this is common amongst young girls who have only recently started having their periods. If the problem continues for more than 6 months it is best to visit our nearest clinic. There are several possible causes of irregular periods and most can be corrected easily with medication.

unknown 16 February 2017 14:31

Hey, since i started prevention i've been having periods for 2months now without stopping, any idea what to do to stop them??

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 February 2017 11:29

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the question. Many medications used to prevent pregnancy work by changing your menstrual cycle (period). This means that the time and length of your period may change. The best thing is to go back to the clinic so they can check you and give you the right treatment for you. If you need tablets, these can only be prescribed by a doctor or nurse (this is the only way to get hold of them). It is always best to use condoms too, as they will prevent other infections and HIV transmission.

Sokisi 3 February 2017 10:02

Goodday, I want to curcumise is there a place I can be helped around Durban CBD?

Anonymous 19 December 2016 16:58

I am HIV positive and recently had a child and the Drs mistakenly left the placenta during birth. I am now experiencing problems eating. I throw up each time I eat. What can I do? I have been to the clinic and a private GP but still no help

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 December 2016 15:56

Hi anonymous, thanks for this question. Sounds like you are having a tough time! It is unusual for the placenta to be left inside the womb. If it was, you would experience bleeding, but it does not cause vomiting. It is best to go to the doctor and do a sonar to check if the placenta is still in your womb. 

Anonymous 14 December 2016 17:50

Hi B-wise. I fell pregnant at the age of 22 after discovering i was pregnant i tested for hiv and i was negative, at 5 months of pregnancy i went to a clinic and tested negative again but they told me to go to a different clinic for anc, i got tested again and my results were positive, when i asked why i was negative just two weeks ago they told me i was probably still in a window period. I accepted my status and started taking treatment. A week before giving birth i got tested and i was negative i did not pay attention to those results as i thought it was just an error. After giving birth i got tested again and i was negative, the nurse seemed shocked at my results and told me to wait for her so she can ask her bosses if this was possible since then she never came back to me. I continued with my treatment my baby is a month old and i am giving her medication as well. I would like to know if i should continue to accept my status as positive or should i get tested again, and if i am positive is it possible for the results to be negative. <br> Please help because the nurse who tested me also told me that taking medication while im not positive can affect my health.

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 December 2016 12:19

Hi  'Confused', I’m sorry. This sounds stressful.  If you tested positive on a rapid HIV test (finger prick), you most likely have HIV. Sometimes a rapid HIV test gives different results. Sometimes people test negative when they are not, because their HIV medication might make their viral load undetectable. There could also be something wrong with the test, like it has expired. Many people who test positive repeat their tests, in the hope that the result might change. Once you are positive, you will always be positive. If this happens the clinic should take a sample of your blood to be sent to the laboratory to be tested again. The result from this test can take 2 weeks and will tell you for certain if you are HIV positive. You can get this test done at your local clinic. It is very important to continue taking your ARVs until you receive the result. Please check all your baby's results and go to the clinic for all baby's appointments. Continue your baby's medication for the full 6 weeks to make sure he or she stays HIV negative. 

Anonymous 13 December 2016 10:32

Am Hub positive and am not on meds yet my CD 4 count is still high but I've gained weight thou how can I loose weight what foods should I eat and not eat what exercise is best suited for me...pls help am frustrated and hate my body

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 December 2016 11:50

Hi Anonymous, I'm sorry to hear you feel frustrated. ARVs are now available for everyone, no matter what your CD4 count. Chat to a nurse or doctor about starting treatment as soon as possible! They can also help to measure your height and weight and work out an eating and exercise plan that's right for you so that you can love the body you are in. Also check out KNOW YOUR BODY

Healthy Living for some tips on healthy eating and exercise.

Anonymous 13 December 2016 10:25

Morning my name is lisa and am HIV positive...Am female and am 27years old. I've been having irregular bleeding and my shoulder and spinal cord one eye is constantly painting in which stage am I in

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 December 2016 11:43

Hi Lisa, Thanks for your question. Without ARV treatment, which is now available for everyone, HIV can make your immune system (which fights disease) weak. If you are not on treatment, it is best to talk to a nurse or doctor to get started! They will do some tests to determine your HIV stage and work out the best treatment for you.

Anonymous 18 November 2016 14:16

Need to test but I have my doubt as this counsellors tells the about our status. I need my info to be private

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 November 2016 12:00

Hi Anonymous, well done for making the decision to test. Counselling and testing for HIV is supposed to be private and this means your information is not supposed to be shared with anyone. Health care professionals are required to keep all information about patients confidential.For more information on HIV check out Know your status? Get tested! What to expect on B-Wise.

Anonymous 14 November 2016 11:58

Is it normal to have continous headaches after you have inserted Implanon?

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 November 2016 12:00

Hi there. Yes, the implanon does come with side effects in some people. Your headache can be treated with pain tablets like Panado or Brufen. They should go away soon after starting implanon, but if they don't, visit your nearest clinic.

zakespeter 13 November 2016 17:14

I finally have a baby girl. I'm worried about her she has heat sores on the head,neck,stomach and between her two thigh.i don't understand this one on the stomach as after its split open and it's growing up in a circle its a size of a tennis ball its looks likes she got burnt

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 November 2016 12:00

Hi Zakespeter, Congratulations on your baby girl. Rashes can be caused by many things, so a doctor would need to see it to give you the best advice. The first thing to do is take her to the clinic to be examined. Try to go as soon as possible, so your girl can get the medical treatment she needs. You can also join MomConnect by dialling *134*550# where you can ask any questions regarding the health of your baby.

zakespeter 28 October 2016 17:08

hi. I'm 39 weeks and six days pregnant. i want to know it's normal by this time i haven't gave birth.

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 October 2016 12:00

Hi Zakespeter, most babies do not arrive on their due dates. It is normal to not to have given birth at 39 weeks. So there is nothing to worry about. Your baby can arrive anytime from 37 weeks to 42 weeks. However, it is Important to go for a check-up and keep your doctor or nurse up to date on how things are going. If your baby is still not born at 42 weeks, you should see the doctor as soon as possible. If you want to receive more information about your baby for free from NDOH, register for MomConnect at your local clinic or dial * 134 * 550 #.

BWise Moderators 11 October 2016 14:48

Hi Anonymous. Great question! Lots of people have been talking about cupping after seeing some of the Olympic athletes use it. But just because we have seen athletes use it doesnâ??t mean that it is has been tested. For any treatment to be used in South Africa it has to be tested to check that it works and that it is safe for human beings to use. There have been studies that say cupping may help for pain, but this has not been proven yet. If and when cupping is confirmed to work on pain and is also safe, then it may be used in South Africa.

BWise Moderators 11 October 2016 14:44

Hi Taphillys, Thanks for the question. Itâ??s great that you are asking for help. Your child will have to be seen by a doctor or nurse again and be examined to find out what could be wrong. Ask your doctor if they can check your child for other symptoms along with the coughing, like weight loss.

Anonymous 22 September 2016 06:21

Why don't Doctors and hospitals allow or recommend patients in doing Cupping, as cupping is good for the blood circulation and body

Mizan 22 September 2016 06:19

What is the cause of bleeding through the backside whilst doing number 2?

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 September 2016 12:00

There are a many reasons why you may bleed doing number 2 such as piles, a cut, anal warts or irritable bowel syndrome in the anal area. If you are constipated as well, eat fruits and veggies and drinking lots of water! But it is best to go see a doctor or nurse so that they can give you a proper check-up and treatment.

Anonymous 17 September 2016 16:39

Hello I have a problem with bad breath.I floss and brush my teeth twice daily but I still have the problem.I happen to have stomach ulcers,could it be the ulcers causing the bad breath?

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 October 2016 12:00

Hello Anonymous, Thanks for your question. It can be frustrating when you take care of your teeth, but you aren't sure where bad breath is coming from. It is possible that it is the ulcer that is causing the bad breath. But there are many other causes of bad breath, like tooth decay, thrush in the mouth, and a throat infection like tonsils and a chest infection. It's a good idea to visit a dentist or speak to your doctor or a nurse for a check-up. They will be able to find the cause of your bad breath.

taphillys 17 September 2016 14:01

Hi my daughter;s been coughing 4 3yrs nd I tried different doctors nd always get the same medication (amoxicillin) and after some time she gets the same there anything I can do to help her get rid of this cough.

Anonymous 24 August 2016 21:32

What is PVD sexually transmitted infection?

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 August 2016 09:00

Hi Anonymous, PVD stands for Provoked Vestibulodynia and it is not a sexually transmitted infection. It is the uncomfortable feeling or pain that a woman feels when the vulva (outside of the vagina) is touched. If touching your sexual parts or putting in a tampon is painful, it is a good idea to see a nurse or doctor for a proper check-up. Also, remember to always use a condom with your partner to avoid any STIs.