Being a girl is not always easy…

Growing up is difficult enough already, but being a girl and going through your teenage years as well can be extra hard!

There are many challenges girls go through. One of those is having to go through puberty, a time when our bodies reach sexual maturity and start being able to have babies. Your breasts also develop at this stage, which can be painful… you start to be more aware of your body and how you look…and then there’s the start of your periods (menstruation)!

Your emotions and moods will change too, and you may find yourself not getting along with your friends, parents or teachers like you used to. It is important not to be too hard on yourself, or on them. It’s normal to feel strong emotions and even cry sometimes. Talk to someone close like an older sister, your mom or an aunt. They will understand this more than you know.

One of the things you can do is to prepare for these changes by being aware of them when they happen. The changes are normal, and they show that your body is maturing.  They’re not something to be ashamed of, or embarrassed about.

Remember, you are not alone – all girls go through changes as they grow up. It can be tough but it doesn’t last forever! For more on how your body changes, read our section on “KNOW YOUR BODY: Girl's Body Guide”.

Likes

B-Wise User Mthethwa 15 July 2020 18:47

Hi when I shave my pubic hair it itching is this natural

Thank you for your question. We have sent it to an expert and will get back to you within 48 hours with a response.
B-Wise User Mthethwa 15 July 2020 16:37

Hi I am 12 years old I have not gotten my period yet and had gotten threw puberty from last year and I have pubic Hair and my vigina discharges brownish thing am I going to have my period

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 July 2020 16:48

Your period is going to come. Don't worry and be patient. You are still young and as long as your body has started changing, it will come soon.

B-Wise User Loly_Ivy 1 October 2019 20:05

I agree 100% sometimes it's even hard to control these "new emotions" that come with growing up, having to make good decisions and staying in lane-something many of us suffer from and having to deal with these changes in our bodies is hard enough especially when you don't have that female figure in your life to support you and guide you but im grateful and really appreciative that there are platforms like Bwise who care. Thank you so much good people!ð???

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 August 2018 11:25

Last month which was July I went on periods on the 8th and also went again on the 25th so I wanted to ask if there's something wrong with me ??

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 August 2018 19:01

Hi there, thank you for your question. There can be many reasons why your periods may have changed such as hormonal imbalance, taking a contraceptive can change your periods. If this continues to change often then its best for you to go see a nurse or a doctor at your nearest clinic to get it checked out.

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 June 2018 18:25

How can you overcome your fear of being scared to share things with your mom?

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 July 2018 12:11

HI there, thank you for your question. Talking to your mom about certain personal things can be difficult. You can start my talking to your mom more often about things that she may already know about such as school. Once you are comfortable enough to talk to your mom about more personal matters then you can share that with her. In the mean time remember Bwisehealth.com is here to help you

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 June 2018 18:24

How can you prevent your self from wanting to become a lesbian?

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 July 2018 11:51

Hi there, thank you for your question. It seems like you are facing some hard questions. Its OK for you to be attracted to girls or boys or both. This is not something you choose, because we cannot choose how we feel. So it is not something to feel shame about. It is okay to be who you are. It is important to find people who will support you. Have a look at this page to find organisations who are here to help www.out.org.za

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 March 2018 19:27

what happens if you dont have someone who you can talk to??

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 April 2018 13:32

Hi thank you for your question. It can be difficult if you don't have someone to talk to. If you are deciding on who you can share your secrets with you can read our article on https://bwisehealth.com/article/who-can-i-trust-with-my-secrets