Binge drinking and alcohol poisoning

Binge drinking is when you drink a large amount of alcohol in one setting to get drunk. You can go on a ‘binge’ once a week, only on weekends or a few times a month. Any binge drinking is dangerous. If it happens more than once a week you are a ‘heavy binge drinker’. You might think you're fine, but in fact you're not.

How much is too much?

Drinking 5 or more drinks in in a single session is considered to be binge drinking and makes you a problem drinker.

Binge drinking can affect your body and be dangerous. It can cause:

  • Alcohol poisoning
  • Accidents (even car accidents)
  • Brain damage
  • Serious tummy problems
  • Stroke or heart problems
  • Alcohol addiction
  • Risky behaviour (such as unprotected sex)
  • Losing your valuable items (such as your wallet, jewellery or phone)
  • Poor school performance or failing
  • Missing school
  • Getting into fights or arguments

What exactly is alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is when your body becomes poisoned by drinking too much alcohol. The first sign is usually lots of vomiting. But it also affects your breathing and the gag reflex. This means you can stop breathing if your gag reflex isn't working properly and you could choke to death on your own vomit.

Someone may have alcohol poisoning if:

  • They are confused
  • You can't wake them up
  • They are vomiting or having a fit
  • Their breathing is slow or not normal
  • They are very cold (low body temperature)
  • Their skin is bluish or pale skin

If you notice any of these signs you need to get help immediately. Take your friend to a hospital or local clinic.

Likes
5
Add a Comment/Question
3
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.


SIGN IN


B-Wise User Anonymous 21 April 2019 08:42

I know alot of peeps who behave like that.. thanks for this article

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 April 2019 18:53

Useful article.. Thank you

B-Wise User Tshepzan 4 September 2018 22:14

This article is very useful. Thank you