Feeling sad all the time? You could be depressed

Feeling sad, down or hopeless is actually normal and we all feel this way at times. An argument with a parent, a breakup, a best friend moving away, being bullied or failing a test can cause these feelings. The death of someone close can lead to a specific, longer kind of sadness called grief. Most of the time, we manage to deal with these feelings and move past them with a little time and care, but sometimes it is too difficult and it is as if we feel sad all the time. This could mean that you are depressed.

Not everyone who is depressed (very sad) shows it in exactly the same way.

Signs of depression:

• Negative feelings (like hopelessness, loneliness, guilt, rejection) and sadness (which sometimes shows up as irritability or anger) for weeks or more.
  • Negative thinking that doesn't go away.
  • Feeling tired, having low energy and no motivation to do or care about anything.
  • Poor concentration and focus on schoolwork, in class or on what others say.
  • Physical symptoms like not wanting to eat or eating too much, headaches, sleep problems, getting fat or losing too much weight.
  • Pulling away from friends and family or from activities that you once enjoyed; making you feel more lonely.

Remember, you are not alone and there are people ready to help. You can talk to a friend or an adult that you trust. They can help you to get professional help.

You can get help

You can speak to a healthcare worker at your local clinic or call:
  • Childline on 08000 55 555
  • Lifeline on 0861 322 322
  • SADAG on 0800 12 13 14

Likes

B-Wise User Boits 9 November 2018 09:58

Hey Im Boits,most of the time I feel sad,feel like going away where no one will never find me,sometimes I lock myself in my room to avoid everyone.I feel lonely,am I depressed???

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 November 2018 10:18

Hi Boits, thank you for your question, it seems like you are going through a difficult time, it would be best for you to go to your local clinic and speak to a psychologist or a counsellor.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 October 2018 18:50

Hi ive got a problem everytym i pray nd ask God to forgive my sins then boom am pulling off bck to square one am confused pls help me am helpless i feel like giving up this is too much for me am struggiling financial, mentally, physically nd emotional including my relationship with my bf its bad.

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 October 2018 00:43

Dear Anonymous. Challenges we face in life can be overwhelming, however this does not mean we should lose hope or give up. Patience and consistency is required in your case. It is difficult to have patience when things are not moving for a period of time. Take it step by step and don’t have unrealistic goals. Some things do take time but eventually everything falls into place. Don’t let depression get the better of you. Speak to a counsellor at your nearest clinic or someone you trust about your concerns. This health article will also give you some contact details of who you can call for help; Help & Support: Mental Health & Substance Abuse.

B-Wise User Siyandile 8 October 2018 16:10

Sometimes I feel like no one cares about me and when am away from others thats were I realise that I need people in my life whether they make me sad, I realise their importance in my life. I write down to express my feelings and I feel better after.

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 October 2018 16:26

Hi Siyandile, thank you for sharing your story with us. It seems as though you have been going through a lot, and you have been brave through it all. Well done on having a positive attitude through your difficult time. Depression is not easy to deal with, we would recommend getting help by seeing a counsellor or a psychologist at your local clinic who will be able to help you through the depression. You can use our Clinic Finder to help you find a clinic near to you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 January 2017 15:30

What can be done to stop depression? Cause lately I've been feeling down, don't want to engage with other people and I want to be on my own most of the time.I feel like crying and giving up on the things I want to accomplish. I was once in this state but managed to get out but I'm just overwhelmed by my situation. I don't want to talk to anyone I keep to myself I feel like a failure.

B-Wise Expert Expert 10 January 2017 17:39

Hi anonymous, thanks for your brave question. It takes such courage to ask for help when you feeling the way you are. But it’s important to remember that depression is treatable. Depression can be caused by health-related or life challenges. I suggest you visit your clinic or hospital to speak to a psychologist, doctor or call the Depression and Mental Health Helpline: 0800 567 567. They can help you, you do not have to do this alone!