Have more questions about HIV?

Is there a cure for HIV?

No, but doctors have created powerful medicines that can save your life if you are HIV-positive called antiretrovirals (ARVs) or antiretroviral therapy (ART). They do not kill the virus but stop the HIV from making more and more HIV in your body.

How do ARVs work?

Every time you take your ARVs, you top up the amount of ARV there is in your blood. When you keep your ARV level in your blood high, this pushes the HIV in your body down and stops HIV from attacking and killing your CD4 (soldier) cells. Your CD4 cells need to be able to fight other illnesses and infections so you stay healthy. The ARVs make your CD4 cells stronger, so it's important to take your ARVs every day. Every time you miss or forget to take your ARVs, the HIV level in your body increases.

What are CD4s?

CD4s are soldier cells that protect your body from infections. Doctors and nurses will count how many CD4 cells you have to see how strong your body is to fight the HIV.

Can still I pass HIV to someone if I am taking ARVs?

Yes you can. If you take your ARVs everyday there will be less HIV in your body, but it is still there.

Can still I have children one day?

Yes you can if you are healthy enough and take your ARVs every day. But when you decide to have children, it is important to talk to a doctor or nurse about this first. They will tell you how to do it safely.

Likes

B-Wise User Intelligent 11 August 2020 19:08

Hi My ARVs always make me dizzy I don't know why can u help

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 August 2020 09:12

This is a side effect of the medication. If it doesn't get better then please go to the clinic and let them know.

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 August 2020 14:12

Hi doc I'm HIV positive and being in a different province and the clinic I'm in doesn't want to help me with treatments coz I don't hv a transfer letter I dnt work to travel to back to fetch my transfer letter.Your input will be highly appreciated thank you

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 August 2020 12:44

You need to go back to that clinic and tell them that it's your right to get treatment, even if you are in a different province.

You can also contact someone for help by sending a Please Call Me to 079 851 2490

B-Wise User Locia 14 July 2020 23:03

Hi is it true that HIV can hide for 11years,bcz my ex boyfriends are HIV positive so I found out after i broke up with them and I've been testing each and after six months it's about seven years now testing and my results are still negative plz help I'm confused.

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 July 2020 10:20

It is not true that HIV can hide.

If you have been testing regularly for a few years then it means you are negative and that your exes did not transmit the infection to you. You need to make sure you use condoms when you have sex to stay safe.

B-Wise User Young 14 July 2020 00:55

Hi I've been changed to dolutegravir and I haven't been able to sleep well ever since my last visit at the clinic. Do I have a right to change to the ARVs I was taking before this dolutegravir?

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 July 2020 10:05

It’s a pity we don’t know how long you have been on treatment. Is there a possibility of you changing the times for the treatment to morning, so you can sleep better at night?

But if you try changing times and it still does not work, please visit your clinic and request to be changed, it is your right. They will explain to you the advantages and disadvantages of moving from one drug to the other. Please do not stop treatment on your own.

B-Wise User Avatar 13 July 2020 16:21

Hi doctor am taking treatment for TB and HIV and I started in May so the one for TB they told me I must come with my spectum for test so that they can change my medication.i have been to the clinic from last week but the clinic is closed due to the found someone who has Corona so they can't help us and now I have completely ran out of my TB medication what can I do cos I was told not to skip my medication please am desperate

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 July 2020 09:47

I recommend you that try find another clinic close by and you go there and explain your situation. It is important that you try reach another clinic because skipping medication is not good for your health

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 July 2020 10:05

Hi there,married for 9 Years and just tested + and was never in any relationship beside with my husband. We both tested + and on meds but he always blames me for it. He drinks a lot every weekend always out and sleeps out. What to do.

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 July 2020 14:05

Hi,

Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 July 2020 14:30

Hi there. I tested HIV+ in December 2019 and only started taking ARV treatment on 28 June this year. It's been almost 2 weeks but my heart seems to be taking a strain from the medication. I am taking Trenvir pills. Can they be affecting my heart so badly? It beats faster than usual and it also feels like it's going to burst.

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 July 2020 15:20

Hi There,

ARVs can have a lot of side effects, but also try what may trigger the heart palpitations, for example having a diet with high caffeine like coffee and energy drinks can give heart palpitations. In order to limit the side effects, you can try take the medication in the evenings before going to sleep. If you are really concerned, see your doctor

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 July 2020 22:21

My partner tested positive and I tested nagetive, how?

B-Wise Expert Expert 10 July 2020 12:09

If your partner has been on ARVs then their viral load could be low which is why the virus wasn't passed on to you.

If you two only just tested then you were lucky not to get infected but if you continue having unprotected sex then the chances of infection will increase

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 July 2020 10:44

Is it okay to mix breastmilk and formula while the baby is on nevaripine

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 July 2020 13:05

Hi there.

This depends on how old your baby is. Babies less than 6 months of age must never be mix fed. But if the baby is above 6 months you can mix feed.

If your baby is still on nevarapine then the baby is less than 12 weeks old so the baby should not be mix fed

B-Wise User Anonymous 7 July 2020 15:21

If you are hiv positive but you take your medication everyday plus the virus load is very low and you get tested positive for covid 19 are the chances of recovering?

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 July 2020 15:33

The chances are high because your immune system is strong

B-Wise User Anonymous 5 July 2020 12:11

I wanna come clean to my lover that I tested positive but I don't know how or where to start.i really don't want to lose him instead I want him to know his status and start taking care of himself other than being mad at him because I don't know how and when I got the virus as we haven't been testing for a long time but I am certainly sure that I have never cheated on him. We have a child now fortunately she was born negative n I'm doing all my best to take care of her. I've got to the point that I'm tired of hiding myself when I have to take my treatment everyday it's killing me slowly. Another thing that made this so difficult is that when I try to bring out this topic he is too quick to avoid n tells me he has blood type 0 it's it rare for him to be infected in any type of way.pls help bcz I have this life that I'm living

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 July 2020 14:11

Please read this article: https://bwisehealth.com/article/dating-when-youre-hiv-positive

It is important that you tell your partner the truth so that both of you can live healthily. Be honest with him and be patient with him as well.

Also, having blood type O doesn't mean he can't get infected

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 July 2020 23:25

Hy doc Is it normal for menstruation dates to change each n every month..and what could be the cause of that

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 July 2020 17:16

Yes it is very normal. It happens for most girls and women.

B-Wise User Anonymous 27 June 2020 21:45

Baby is on nevirapine can solid food be given before 6 months

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 June 2020 18:04

Hi there

It is not recommended to give a baby solid food before 6 months. Also depending on if you are exclusively breast feeding or bottle feeding, discuss it with your health care provider  if you are concerned with your baby’s eating habits

B-Wise User Sololister 26 June 2020 09:38

Hi doc what are the danger signs when u are pregnant

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 June 2020 16:54

Do you mean the symptoms?

You can experience exhaustion, vomiting, boobs getting bigger and painful, lower back pain

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 June 2020 00:58

Hi there I want to find out if whether it's possible to infect my baby when im breastfeeding until she is a year old because now she mixes both baby food and milk therefore I heard I'm supposed to breastfeed 6months strictly and I'm done with that duration but I would still like to continue breastfeeding her. My VL is very low so is it still safe to continue

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 July 2020 09:44

The PMTCT guidelines indicate that its safe to breastfeed the baby for up to two years, as long as the viral load is undetectable and its safe to do so.

You have indicated that your viral load is low ,but I hope that its undetectable, you may continue to breastfeed while the baby eats food because now the stomach gut of your baby is well formed and strong enough to withstand the virus.

Also important to note that you should continue to take your treatment always and avoid breastfeeding if you have sores in your breast

B-Wise User Mywase 18 June 2020 19:04

Hie doc ..what are the symptoms of HIV

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 June 2020 21:24

Hello there,

The only way to tell if you are HIV positive is to get tested. There are no symptoms that just show

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 June 2020 21:48

Hello doctor,I have been having stomach aches and pains these days after I'm done eating....What is wrong with me

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 June 2020 11:22

You need to monitor the food that you eat. You might be eating something that your body doesn't agree with.

B-Wise User Avatar 10 June 2020 21:05

Hi doctor ndicela ukubusa ukuba ndingumtu othandwa ukuba ne nyongo kakhulu ithi xa ifikile kube buhlongo intloko kube buhlongo amehlo kube (I can't even see with my eyes) and ifuna uku phuma ngentla ithi ukuze iyo phuma ngesantse ndile iyese ekuthwa imist alba lilolotwa ebelikwasi uku ndiceta ngoku ndi thata itreatment ye arv ne TB than e clinic bathi andimelanga uku phinda ndi clean I sisu ngalo nalephina eyesa so ndicela uncendo lokuba ndingai treat ngatoni na le nyongo ingaka ndinayo

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 June 2020 10:00

You need to go back to the clinic and ask them to tell you what you can use to clean your stomach that is safe for you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 June 2020 13:48

Hello, I tested positive for hiv from a private doctor and started the meds after getting my viral load and Cd4 count results which were 46400 and 166, after been on a treatment for a week and half I decided to go to local clinic to open a file and get free meds instead of having to buy..they did the viral load and Cd4 count tests again because they said they wanted to have their own results instead of the ones I took privately..so I got my results from the clinic and my viral load has reduced to 682 and my Cd4 count is now at 310..is it possible for my Cd4 count to jump this much after being in a treatment for a short time?

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 June 2020 15:30

Taking your ARV treatment consistently yields positive results in your body. Keep taking your medication and they will test again after 6 months and your viral load could be undetectable.

B-Wise User Avatar 9 June 2020 11:47

Witch food can I eat when am taking arv

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 June 2020 12:19

Fruits, vegetables, water, less salt and less sugar

B-Wise User Anonymous 7 June 2020 21:29

Hi doc I'm HIV positive nd hv missed my appointment for my treatment for HIV coz of work nd can get off the following week coz we only got back to work due to the covid 19 pandemic so ,what should I dO

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 June 2020 12:04

Hi There,

Try going to your HR office and explaining that you need time off to go to the clinic, you do not have to declare your status but it is your legal right to get time off.

When you do not take your medication, you will grow resistant to the drugs and this will impact your viral load and CD4 count. You need to take your medication everyday

B-Wise User Anonymous 7 June 2020 09:31

What's up doc I've been tested positive bout 3yrs ago and taking my treatment regularly ever since,I have never had any relationship due to getting infected.Can I infect another person because I prefer oral sex?I don't want to infect the next person as I was infected by a selfish boyfriend.Please help as I'm miserable alone.

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 June 2020 15:59

Please read this: https://bwisehealth.com/article/can-i-get-an-sti-from-oral-sex

Make sure you are using protection everytime you have sex or you want to perform  oral sex.

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 June 2020 11:43

Hello, Is there a prophylaxis for TB and can a person takes the meds after being on ART for two weeks?

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 June 2020 14:28

Hi There, Please read more n TB here https://bwisehealth.com/search?keyword=TB+

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 June 2020 00:33

Can i take procydeen or Cellfood while m taking the Arv

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 June 2020 17:43

You need to ask the nurse at the clinic or doctor before taking them to make sure your body can handle it.

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 May 2020 09:57

It increased a little bit and on the 2nd review it decreased on the 3rd review it increased until the Dr decided to change the patient to a 2nd line now this person is taking 6 tablets a day 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening: Lamzid and Aluvia and she complains of a nausea since last week where she started taking the 2nd line and her appetite has now decreased, she wants to know if can she take multivitamin and are there any chances that she will pick up her CD4 count by using these tablets and probably how long will it take for her not to have nausea when she took these tablets?

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 May 2020 10:59

I would advise that the person only take multivitamins after consulting with the doctor and getting permission to use them.

The nausea will stop once the body is used to the tablets. Different people take different times to get used to the tablet and have less nausea.

The tablets will help pick up her CD4 count

B-Wise User Anonymous 27 May 2020 10:30

Hey Doc.. My Viral load is lower than detectable limit....And Viral load is 667....Can u pls explain to me what does it mean when it's like that

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 May 2020 08:08

it means the levels of HIV is you is very small, undetectable. This doesn't mean the virus is no longer in your body. Your CD 4 count is 667, these are the cells protecting you.

You are on the right track Continue taking your medication and stay healthy

B-Wise User dikge2 24 May 2020 23:38

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 May 2020 13:21

We will respond soon.

B-Wise User Anonymous 24 May 2020 23:38

Hi Dr on the 31 march i found out that I'm HIV positive n my blood was taken to dee lab... after 2 days i went back to the clinic and my results confirmed that I'm hiv but didn't show my viral load. What does that mean and started taking ARV'S immediately ,

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2020 13:54

The South African guidelines do not encourage taking viral loads to people who just tested HIV positive. The rationale behind that decision is there is no reason behind taking blood for viral load because without treatment it is likely to be high anyway. Your viral load will be checked again in 6 months and a year after, as we are trying to see if your body is reacting well to the treatment

B-Wise User Anonymous 24 May 2020 15:51

Hie Doc I have been taking my ARVs at 8 in the morning,I want to change to 8 in the evening is it safe

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 May 2020 14:55

Yes it is safe. Just make sure you take them at the same time in the evening

B-Wise User Nobukhosindebele98@gmail.com 24 May 2020 15:18

My viral load is 186 and I'm breastfeeding my child,is she safe?

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2020 13:52

Your viral load is not suppressed and the baby was suppose to be on prophylaxis NVP and AZT for the duration of breastfeeding to minimize the risk of transmission. There is a new ARV drug that helps bring viral load down quickly and is now available for everyone  to access it.

As an advice when you feel like your child is not safe , rather you make an informed decision of whether you want to continue breastfeeding or formula feeding, its really the mother's choice.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 May 2020 22:29

Hi I'm HIV positive due to the covid-19 pandemic I'm still in gauteng bt another munipicality nd my nxt treatment appointment for arvs is soon I would like to knw to travel to the clinic I get my treatment will a traveling permit be need

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 May 2020 10:59

You can go to the clinic closest to you to check if they can help you. If they can't go to the police station and explain your situation and ask whether you will need a permit.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 May 2020 21:58

Hey Doc...Am Very worried I am Pregnant and on ART treatment I took two pills by mistake....forgot that I did take a pill then I took again.....so Now am feeling very dizzy.as if am drunk....will it not be an overdose and harm my unborn baby can u pls help me am scared

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 May 2020 10:45

You need to go to the clinic or doctor to check if everything is okay.

B-Wise User Anonymous 19 May 2020 21:20

Hi doc regarding to the permit to travel if you dnt hv a identify document to get one to travel for medical reasons what route can one take

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 May 2020 13:30

Hi,

It's going to be very difficult to get a travel permit if you don't have an ID. Go to the police station and explain to them your situation.

B-Wise User Anonymous 19 May 2020 21:17

Hi doc I'm HIV positive due to the covid 19 pandemic I couldn't travel to my province to fetch my treatment ,so I went to the clinic where I'm nw bt the the nurse gave me treatment for a month and told me to go to my province to fetch my nxt month treatment nd it's difficult to travel nd don't know what to do regarding my situation plz doc your input I'll high appreciate it thank you

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 May 2020 13:24

If you still can't travel next month then you need to go back to that clinic and explain your situation to them. They will have to help you until you can travel

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 May 2020 15:59

Hi doc I have a problem here my girlfriend is taking treatment since she started to take some treatment she is seeing some things that we are not see and sometimes even talk about things that I didn't heard about always angry against me so where I can get some help to help her she doesn't want to go back to clinic and get assistance about her treatment

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 16:06

You need to find a way to convince her to go to the clinic. She sounds like she's having a bad reaction to the treatment and they may need to change it.

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 16:06

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 May 2020 10:18

Hy doc I found out tht i m HIV positive in 2018 January...nd the whole time me nd ex partner we ddnt use condom nd still after I gave birth we ddnt even use condom....he claims tht his negative so wt i dnt understand its been 6 nd half years not using condom,,he got back to his first bbe mother....would tht guy infect the first lady or wat......i dnt understand....i m still taking ma meds...plzzz make understand

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 10:55

Your ex needs to go get tested so he can know his status. If he is indeed HIV positive then it is possible that he is going to infect his first baby mother.

You must continue to take your meds and don't have unprotected sex.

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 May 2020 21:49

Hi doc i have tested Hiv in 2015 n it came back positive n i didn't take medication that time the is no changes in my body but now im afraid coz of covld 19 i want to take my medication now what should i do where to start?

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 10:36

You need to go to a clinic or doctor as soon as possible to get started on treatment. Make sure to also take precautions such as wearing a mask, maintaining social distancing and washing hands with soap and water regularly.

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 May 2020 18:23

Hello Doc.....Am HIV Positive for 8 years been on ART treatment For that whole 8 Years till now and am very happy and healthy again I've accepted myself being Positive leaving a healthy and normal life like every one else....but my problem is every time I test the test say Negative.... Can u pls tell me what's the couse of that....

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 10:29

First of all, well done on taking your treatment so well. Please continue taking it. Your viral load is really low which means that the amount of HIV in your body is low. This is why the test says negative. It doesn't mean that you are HIV free, it means that the HIV in your blood is low.

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 May 2020 22:31

Hi doc im positeve from 2004 on february i was daygnous by bactitial menengatis and im two months preagnant is my unborn baby at risk

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 May 2020 11:53

You need to make sure you are going to the clinic or doctor regularly to get checked and take your treatment properly.

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 May 2020 10:12

Hy Doc I tested positive and found out that I'm already pregnant, then I read on my arv pamphlet that the certain medication they gave me is not suitable for pregnant woman or even breastfeeding ones. I'm confused I don't know what to do

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2020 12:07

You need to go back as soon as you can and show them the pamphlet and the medication they gave you. Explain to them that you are pregnant and positive and need the right medication

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 May 2020 22:08

Hi doc I hv a question if you got first time tested positive for HIV nd want to make double sure it wasn't a false positive can you get retest again Nd is it possible

B-Wise Expert Expert 10 May 2020 14:35

Yes, you can get tested again to make sure.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 May 2020 16:22

Hi doc if I go with a empty container of Arv to the new facility to get my treatment will I get it coz can't Travel to fetch my transfer letter due to the covid pandemic

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 May 2020 16:28

Go to the new clinic and explain your situation to them. They will help you. Yes, take your empty container so they can see.

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 May 2020 18:14

Is it possible that I can get my transfer letter via text if I ask my previous clinic

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 May 2020 11:30

Hi,

Please ask your previous clinic and see what plan they can make for you to get your letter.

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 May 2020 18:09

I have moved to a different province dnt hv a letter to get my treatment in new province

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 May 2020 11:29

Please contact your clinic/doctor where you used to get your treatment to find out how you can get new treatment where you are now.

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 May 2020 11:33

Hi may I ask if your virus come negative or suppressd you can pass the virus to your partner if you don't used protection

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 May 2020 13:28

When your viral load is low , you can't pass on the virus to your partner. I advise you to use condoms for both your safety.

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 April 2020 23:27

I'm hiv positive just find out 2 months back.I'm taking my pills for the month now.and I had pain on the right hand side below my ribs and now I have cramps allover my stomach.and o thought before of ulcer.what can I take to remove this pain

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 April 2020 10:17

Go to the clinic or doctor to get checked. Your body might be responding to the pills.

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 April 2020 15:19

Can petogen cause a false positive HIV results using a home testing kit??

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 April 2020 18:30

Petogen does not cause false positive HIV results. You need to go to the clinic or doctor to get tested.

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 April 2020 08:03

Hi may I ask last year September i test for HIV the results come back positive and my cd4a was 866 and this year March they took my blood for check up and the results come back negative so many i ask I'm still hiv positive or negative

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 April 2020 17:19

Hi There,

If you have been taking ARVS and your viral load is suppressed then you test again your results may come back negative, this does not mean the virus is no longer in your body but it means it is suppressed

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 April 2020 09:33

Hello I have boyfriend he's 30 years old and we didn't use condoms for a month and I don't blame him I should had to take responsibility for my actions.He didn't want to use condoms I know it was wrong for me to go on before testing. One day we went to test he was HIV+ & I was HIV- he was not happy, I tried to explain that I will never live him and he was fine but the problem is he want to have sex not using condoms and he doesn't trust me we always fight about little things.We need help

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 April 2020 17:54

Don't have unprotected sex with your boyfriend. It places you at risk and is not worth it. He is not allowed to pressure you and I would leave him if he continues to pressure you into having sex without a condom.

I would also advise that you go to your clinic and find out about being put on PrEP. PrEP is a pill that is taken everyday by someone who is HIV negative to make sure they stay that way. Read more about it here: https://bwisehealth.com/article/what-is-prep

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 April 2020 21:14

Hi am anita am HIV positive I move to another place and in this place they don't want to give me treatment because I don't have trasfer and now it's 2 month not eating my treatment and I dont have money to go back and take a trasfer

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 April 2020 22:08

Hi Anita,

Unfortunately, you do need a referral letter from your previous hospital, in order for them to know what medication you were on. If you have empty bottles of what you were taking take it with you to the hospital and explain your situation. They will assist you

B-Wise User Huhma 12 April 2020 20:29

What r de symptoms of being that ur HIV+

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 April 2020 17:38

There are no symptoms that exactly show that you are HIV positive. I recommend that you go to the clinic or doctor and get an HIV test to be sure.

Read more: https://bwisehealth.com/article/why-is-it-important-to-test-for-hiv

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 April 2020 00:25

Ngisacela ukubuza ukuthi Uma udla ama arv's kuyenzeka yini ukuthi kuphazamiseke indlela ocabanga ngayo okanye uphuphe kabi noma ukuthinteka ngokomqondo isikhashana

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 April 2020 12:20

Hello Bhekani,

Ama side effects amaARV awafana kubantu. Abanye mabesawacala bayaphazamiseka kancane emcondweni, abanye cha. Mawungazizwa kahle buyela emtholamphilo bazokusiza

B-Wise User Dusty Gold 10 April 2020 21:33

Hi expert, I have bipolar two disorder and was diagnosed with HIV . What are the best ARV tablets for people with bipolar disorder.

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 April 2020 12:05

Go to the clinic or doctor where they will examine you and give you the best treatment for you.

B-Wise User KayPee 10 April 2020 17:27

I'm pregnant and my boyfriend is HIV positive how do I protect myself and the baby from getting infected

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 April 2020 16:00

It is very important to go and get yourself checked so you know your status.

Also, make sure you are using condoms every single time you have sex.

B-Wise User Dusty Gold 7 April 2020 13:55

I am 30 years of age,was diagnosed HIV positive 2019 July.I started arv treatment September 2019 but had so many severe side effects from the pills. I have bipolar disorder, what are the best arv treatment for me? Please help

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 April 2020 16:43

Hi There,

Bipolar is not a side effect of the ARVS talk to a psychologist. For support with mental health issues read herehttps://bwisehealth.com/article/help-support-mental-health-substance-abuse

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 April 2020 21:53

Hi i overheard that is a injection for HIV, so how safe is it?

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 April 2020 16:50

There is no injection for HIV but there are pills you can take to prevent HIV. Read more about PrEP here www.myprep.co.za

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 April 2020 15:50

Hey i was diagnosed 2months ago this is still a shock to me and i feel like im too young to be positive worse my boyfriend is also scared to go and test im going through depression and anxiety cause my family members don't know what can i do?and what support group can i join to feel un alone?

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 April 2020 16:11

Hi Nonhle,

Being positive is not a death sentence. You can still live a long, happy and healthy life. Please talk to your boyfriend and encourage him to get tested. Him knowing his status will help the both of you to make better decisions especially about sex. Please read this: https://bwisehealth.com/article/i-tested-hiv-positive-what-do-i-do-now

Being depressed about this is completely normal even if it doesn't feel good. I hope you are able to tell the people closest to you about your status one day.

Please contact Love Life by sending a please call me to talk to someone.

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 April 2020 12:45

I feel like corona virus , is supposed to be a wake up call to all the contries about releasing and HIV cure , cause now all we hear is people with HIV are more at risk of getting corona virus . But nothing is being said of working on a cure .will it ve the life time span or the scietist are close to finding a cure .

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 April 2020 16:06

Yes, people with HIV are at a greater risk of contracting Corona Virus because of their weakened immune systems. We all hope that a cure for the virus can be found in our lifetime but in the meantime, people with HIV must take care of themselves and their immune systems.

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 April 2020 20:08

Hi I tested positive in 2017 and i have never take treatment, my question is will the clinic allow me to start taking medication...am an athlete

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 14:17

Hi, You can start taking medication. Visit your nearest clinic for more screening and advice

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 April 2020 10:05

Hi my sister have a problem and she need answers about being HIV positive. She tested positive for HIV and she's pregnant too but she's afraid that her unborn baby can be effected. So my question is how can her unborn baby be protected from getting effected from HIV? Is there any precaution need to be followed in order to protect her unborn baby?

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:20

Hi There,

Your sister needs to go to the clinic for her antenatal check-ups, she will be then given medication that will help prevent the transmission to the baby . After birth, the child will also be given medication to make sure he or she is not infected

B-Wise User Cedro 31 March 2020 14:21

Hi I tested positive in 2014 and never went back to hospital for any follow up due to stigma, is it going to be easy to start arvs since there's Covid19. Thank u

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:11

Hi Cedro,

You need to go back to the clinic and get treatment. it is for your own good. you don't have to disclose your status to anyone if you are not comfortable, and you can take your pills in private

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 March 2020 14:19

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 April 2020 16:38

Hi,

Go to there clinic and start treatment, its for your own good

B-Wise User Anonymous 28 March 2020 08:51

Hi, I'm 14, I was born HIV positive, I got it from my mom, I've been swallowing pills my whole life. But these past few years, everytime I take the pills, I feel very nauseas, is it a side effect??

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 March 2020 14:17

Nausea is one of the side effects of the pills, try to take the pills in the evening but also talk to your health care provider.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 March 2020 14:49

Hi! I have heard of 2 cases of people who were healed of HIV. My question is, is there a way of proving that the virus has completely left the body other than that the virus is undetectable?? If an ordinary person wants a proof that they have been healed is there a way!! Beside the virus being undetectable. I hope you understand my question

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:06

The virus doesn’t have a cure currently, medically we don’t have anyone who has been cured of HIV.

The test for viral load says undetectable because the virus is controlled by ARVs , but still available in the body. The rapid test for a patient who has been on treatment for some time might come back negative because the body has not made any new HIV antibody cells. Also some of the traditional remedies tend to mask HIV existence in the body when you test with rapid test.

The most accurate test is the ELISA blood test or the PCR test.

B-Wise User Spiwe Dube 16 February 2020 09:15

I overheard that there's a new pill for HIV that suppress the viral load in 28 days is it true dolutargravor .

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 February 2020 13:05

Hi there. Thanks for your question! TLD, which stands for Tenofovir, Lamivudine and Dolutegravir, is a new HIV treatment that is a game-changer for people living with HIV because viral load is

suppressed quickly. If you are already using treatment, please speak to a healthcare worker at your next scheduled clinic appointment and they will be able to provide all the necessary information on the risks and benefits of TLD.

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 February 2020 18:01

Hi,so im taking my medication for hiv but the nurse at the clinic claimes that the deases is low/sleeping.my worry is that im too young for all this,will i be able to have the family of my own one day?if yes,does that mean my partner will be infected?

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 February 2020 13:30

Do not worry, you will be able to have your own family if you continue taking your medication and living a healthy life. You have to communicate with your partner so they can take prevention medication. Read more about medication that your partner can take . www.myprep.co.za

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 December 2019 18:54

Hi I tested positive about 2month back,started my treatment but before testing my skin was damaged by a facial product due to low immune and noticed it turned darker Aswell,this was before taking the regimen.latey my health has improved and I want my skin colour back is it safe to take skin,hair suppliment (vital)

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 December 2019 12:56

Hi there, thank you for your question.  You can take multivitamins to help boost your immune system

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 December 2019 17:02

Hi, I just want to know if it is safe to drink flat tummy tea while on Arvs because I really want to loose belly fat and I am afraid it may interact with the drugs and flush them out of the system. Iam using Didivir and edurant. My belly is too big since I started using them. Please I need advise before I do something I will regret later. Thank you in advance.

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 December 2019 12:54

Hi there, thank you for your question. You can check out our healthy living section on how you can lose the extra weight a safer way https://bwisehealth.com/category/healthy-living

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 November 2019 20:43

I woould like to if one have been taking ARVS on time and slept with my partner without a condom and the partner tested negative. My question is if i go and test will i also be negative?

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 November 2019 11:20

Hi there, thank you for your question. No, just because your partner tested negative it doesn't mean that you can be negative too, there is a possibility that one partner may be negative and one partner may be positive it would be best that you get tested as well.

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 November 2019 19:18

Igciwane lithatha isikhathi esingakanani ukubalibonakale emzimbeni?akengithi ngilalenomuntu onegciwane namhlanje lizoliveza nini igciwane?

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 November 2019 18:04

HI there, thank you for your question. It would be best that you go to the clinic as soon as possible so you can be put on Pep

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 November 2019 19:12

Uma unengane manje itholaimithi isikhathi esingaka Ani?

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 November 2019 17:29

Siyabonga ngombuzo wakho, umbuzo wakho awuzwakali, sicela uphinde ubhale kangcono ukuze skwazi ukukusiza.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 November 2019 11:51

Hi I'm hiv positive I tested this year in March and I have been on treatment ever since then, now we approaching festive season and I will go home for December holidays but of course I will take my treatment with but none of my family members are aware or knows of my status. Since it will be the festive season I know there would be alcohol involved, is there a problem if I take my treatment while drinking alcohol?

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 November 2019 10:24

Hi there, thank you for your question, yes alcohol can have an effect on you, you can find out more here https://bwisehealth.com/article/substance-abuse-and-hiv

B-Wise User Anonymous 5 November 2019 22:44

If I use to take ARVs at 8:00pm.but I forgotten to take them.should I take them at 9:00?

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 November 2019 08:33

Yes even if you miss the time you should always take your medication

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 November 2019 11:06

Hi I was on hiv treatment in 3yrs ago,i wasn't ready for taking it so now i want to start afresh by treating this disease,will they allow me at clinic?

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 November 2019 11:26

Hi there, well done for making the decision to take medication. Yes the nurses will allow you to access treatment

B-Wise User ppPrincess 1 November 2019 11:06

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 November 2019 11:27

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 October 2019 09:43

Anonymous I'm HIV positive My boyfriend doesn't want to use condom He will be at risk while I'm on treatment

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 October 2019 19:04

Hi there, thank you for your question. Yes, your partner can still be at risk even if you are on treatment. Remember using a condom not only protects you against HIV but also STI's and unplanned pregnancies

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 October 2019 13:39

Hi Been taking ARVs since 2010,in 2015 went for test and tested negetive.Since the period i started taking my medication,my sexual appetite has gone very low and struggle to have sex twice in one night.In addition my tastecles are seemingly growing bigger over the years and with periodic pains in the pelvic area mostly a day after having sex

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 October 2019 18:20

Hi there thank you for your question. It is possible that your sex drive may not always stay the same as you grow older. It would be best that you visit a local doctor to get checked about the pelvic pain that you are experiencing

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 October 2019 13:33

After years of taking medication ,i tested negetive .What does that mean?

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 October 2019 08:28

Hi there, what medication were you taking?

B-Wise User Masenhle 30 July 2019 18:26

Ways to get HIv

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 July 2019 09:19

Hi there, you can learn about HIV here https://bwisehealth.com/category/hiv

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 July 2019 16:04

Hi I've been diagnosed with HIV 2 years ago and my virus is undetectable. My question is since my virus is undetectable does it mean I can still infect my partner and if I were to get tested will I still test positive?

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 July 2019 12:16

Hi there. Once you are infected with HIV, you will always remain infected, so all HIV screening tests will always be positive, regardless of whether you are on treatment or not. Your viral load becomes undetectable when you are taking your treatment consistently everyday. When your viral load is undetectable, and you continue to take your medication as advised, the chances of you infecting your sexual partner is very low. However, if you stop taking your treatment consistently, your viral load will start to show again in your blood, and this will now be at risk of developing resistance towards the treatment you are taking. This means you will now also potentially transmit a resistant virus to your sexual partner, which will make treating this resistant virus very difficult for you and all your potential sexual partners. Taking your treatment consistently, everyday will remove these risks, and will help you live a healthy, normal life.

B-Wise User Maggyp 22 June 2019 08:43

Hi I've been diagnosed with HIV 12 years ago and I'm taking my ARV treatment regularly, but my problem is I have very painful pains under my feet. like to ask if this is some of the side effects of the treatment or what? Because if I woke up or sit down is hard for me stand up and work properly.I told the nurse at the clinic they gave me calcium tablets but they don't help.

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 June 2019 19:55

Hi, you have been on ARVs for some time, and this is good to hear. Depending on what treatment you are on, some of the older medication combination do cause the side effect of painful feet (what we call peripheral neuropathy). Have a discussion with your health provider, and they may be able to establish the cause of the pain, and should discuss other treatment options, or refer you to an HIV specialist to assist in the matter. Please also note that other conditions, such as Diabetes and TB treatment, to name a couple, that can also result in such pain. Your health care provider should be able to make a thorough assessment, and advise on management. There is other medication that your health care worker may provide you with to assist with these symptoms, such as Amitriptyline.

B-Wise User neleh 15 May 2019 08:48

Hy.. i just found out that im hiv and 5months pregnant. Than i told my partner to go get tested and than the result came back negative after having several unprotected sex i don't understand how does that happened ...

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 May 2019 12:22

Hi there, thank you for your question, it is possible that you are taking your medication on time and your CD4 count may be low

B-Wise User Ketty 30 March 2019 08:11

I'm 21years old and found out that I'm HIV positive while I was testing at my clinic I'm also 21weeks pregnant I take my ARVs has soon as I found out my partner got tested when I tell him about my status we both positive.Question is do I have to use protection for the rest of my life?

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 April 2019 07:26

Dear Anonymous. Having unprotected sex increases your chances of getting an STI and other infections. You can also fall pregnant. Just because you are both HIV positive, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t protect yourself from other risks. There are also chances of being infected with a different strain of HIV, and the risk is higher if you aren’t both on ARVs and don’t both have an undetectable viral load. It’s important to practice protected sex at all times. Using a condom can help protect you from STIs and other infections. Check out our articles from our Basics of S-E-X section and get more information on how you can protect yourself.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 March 2019 17:40

Hi what is a chances of infect my partner is my viral load is lower detectable limit ? Last time we having unprotected sex

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 April 2019 16:40

Hi thank you for your question, remember it's not safe to have unprotected sex because there is a chance of your partner getting HIV and wearing a condom protects you and your partner from STI's and unplanned pregnancies.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 March 2019 21:09

If both partners are taking ARV,s at the right and everyday and their viral load is undectable is there a chance of reinfection if not using condoms

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 April 2019 10:41

Hi, thank you for your question. Well done for taking your medication every day, it is possible to be reinfected as one partner may forget to take their medication. Remember using condoms not only protects you against the reinfection of HIV but it also protects you against STI's and unplanned pregnancies

B-Wise User Tsholo22 12 February 2019 15:55

How far are the doctors with finding a vaccination for people who are Hiv prevention.

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 February 2019 13:30

Hi there, that is a very interesting question. There is alot of development all over the world trying to find a cure for HIV

B-Wise User Anonymous 24 January 2019 17:51

Hello. Please help. I tested positive for HIV December 2018. I started taking my meds 2 days aftr finding out I was diagnosed with HIV. 2 weeks back I had sex with my boyfriend. A condom busted few seconds before ejaculation. We noticed it aftr. My boyfriend is negative and it was the 8th day of my cycle. Is it possible for me to get pregnant on the 8th day of my cycle. Meaning 6 days before day 14( ovulation day). And is that gonna affect my medication in any way because m scared. I was advised not to have unprotected sex seens Iâ??ve started my treatment on December. Please help

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 January 2019 10:47

Dear Anonymous. Having unprotected sex increases your chances of getting an STI and falling pregnant. It’s best you go back to your nearest clinic and get tested for pregnancy. Your boyfriend can also ask his clinic about providing him with ARVs to prevent him getting HIV from you (called PrEP).  He can also get PEP which is given to people who may have been exposed to HIV, and it can prevent them from becoming HIV positive. You can also read What is PEP and how can it help me? and What to do if you have unprotected sex for more information.

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 January 2019 22:17

Hello I'm HIV positive and taking the medication as required my problem is that it gives me a headache and if I say so they think I'm afraid but I'm already used to but it still happens and after taking them I just become blankout and dizzy dou my CD4 count is not dropping. How long does such thing stops

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 February 2019 13:49

Hi there, thank you for your question. It is a concern that you are blanking out after you take your medication. It is best that you visit your clinic and talk to  your doctor about this.

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 January 2019 17:01

Why this days when you get tested for HIV they tell to come after 6 weeks instead of 3 month what is it changed?... What is the difference between 6 weeks and 3 month?... When you can be hundred percent sure that you are not infected between those two?

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 February 2019 18:00

Hi there,  the test kits used are accurate enough to find a positive test after 6 weeks of being infected, taking into consideration the window period before a test becomes positive. The test at 3 months is just to make sure and confirm the results found at 6 weeks.  With A negative test

With a negative test at 6 weeks, you can almost be certain that your results are indeed negative. Three month test is just a confirmation.

But remember, you can have a negative test at 6weeks, but then your test comes back positive at 3 months. This is usually an indication that you probably had unprotected sexual intercourse after the initial incident, or even just before or after the 6 weeks test.

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 January 2019 10:41

I always take my med 8mp yesterday I took them 8 minutes past coz I was out and my phone was inside the house (alarm was peeping) , so drnk them as so as possible,can u tell me the danger of that

B-Wise Expert Expert 16 January 2019 08:25

Hi, thank you for your question. It is a common misunderstanding that ARVs must be taken exactly on time. The reason people living with HIV are advised to choose a time is so that they can have a daily routine which is stable so that it becomes easier to remember to take your dose. Some people take only once per day, other people twice per day. You should always follow the instructions as to whether to take once or twice a day. The real problem is when someone misses a dose completely. Then the level of drug in your body goes down and the virus gets a chance to come back. During this time when treatment is missing from the body the virus can make copies and those copies can sometimes, by chance, be resistant to your drugs. So, the next time you take your ARVs the virus is not so easy to kill. For this reason it is always better to take late than never. For once daily dose you can be up to four or five hours late if needed - for example if you go out for a party and forget to take before you leave you could take when you get back instead. For twice daily dosing, it is ok to be 2 or 3 hours late. This is not to say your time can or should change every day. Try to take at the same time every day but if something happens and you forget or are delayed it is absolutely fine to take late and it is much better than missing the dose totally. The next day you try to take at your usual time again. If you do miss a dose completely, be extra careful not to miss again for the next couple of weeks at least so that the virus in your body is not up and down, up and down, and building resistance to your ARVs. If you think you might run out of treatment before your next clinic date, go to clinic early for a refill. It is so important not to miss doses and not to run out or interrupt treatment. If you do interrupt treatment let your doctor or nurse or Counsellor know so that they can help you get back into ARVs as soon as possible.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 January 2019 14:04

Hello. Iâ??m HIV positive and usually go to the gym. And I enjoy the steam more. Is it ok to steam my self at the gym if m on ARVs because I sweat a lot. Wonâ??t it disturb the intake of my ARVs.

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 January 2019 12:22

Hi, it is completely safe for you to to use the steam room, as long as you are healthy. This will also in no way interfere with your taking of the medication.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 January 2019 10:35

Hi I'm HIV positive and I like to know that can I date someone who is HIV negative or must I date someone who is positive like me?

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 January 2019 12:04

Hi, thank you for your question. You can read this article for more information https://bwisehealth.com/article/dating-when-youre-hiv-positive

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 January 2019 16:34

Hi, is it advisable to use hot belt to reduce belly fat when you exercises, when you are on arvs? Will it not flush away the medication through sweat. Help l don't want to take some risk. Thank you.

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 January 2019 05:33

Dear Anonymous. Thank you for your question. ARVs can cause you to gain weight. People usually use hot belts to help them lose weight and they shouldn’t affect you. If you choose to use a hot belt, just be aware of the side effects like dehydration, discomfort, abdominal cramps and pain. You can also start eating healthy foods to help you. Include lots of veggies and fruits in your diet and it’s best that you drink enough water daily to make sure your body is working well. Drinking a few glasses of water a day is a good way to start. You can also read our article Ways to flatten your belly and Eat well to stay well: Healthy food, healthy life for more information.

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 January 2019 14:34

I have small rush on my penis sometimes it is itching, what makes me scared is that I've been having sex with my partner for 3 years without using condom she tested positive at the beginning of the last month, but tested negative that time than I went back to test at the 14th of December I was still negative so my question is that is it possible to have HIV Symptoms while you are on a Window period. I never have a rush on a penis head. before

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 January 2019 10:33

Dear Anonymous. It is possible to have unprotected sex many times and not to get HIV from your HIV positive partner however there is always a risk if the partner is not on treatment and does not have a suppressed viral load. It's best you wait to get tested again. We would also suggest you start to use condoms now as it will protect you from contracting the virus and other infections. You can also ask your nearest clinic about providing you with ARVs to prevent you getting HIV (called PrEP).

Use our Clinic Finder to find a clinic near you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 December 2018 19:44

Hi.. I 've been sleeping with my boyfriend without a condom while on my periods. So last week I went for an hiv test and it came back positive.. I'm now worried.. is the a high rust that he could be infected

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 January 2019 21:14

Dear Anonymous. Yes, your boyfriend could have been infected but the best way to know is for him to get tested. HIV can be transmitted through unprotected sex when your viral load is not suppressed. It usually takes about 3 months of taking ARVs every day for your viral load to be suppressed. You can learn more about HIV here: http://ow.ly/QEV430nangw.

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 December 2018 17:08

Hi. I found out I was HIV positive 14 December 2018. And started ARVs 15 December 2018 aftr receiving my CD4 count results. So Iâ??ve been taking ARVs for 2 weeks now. So if I take an HIV test again will it be positive or it might be negative? Because Iâ??ve heard tht if ure taking ARVs your test might be negative if the viral load is undetectable. So will the test be positive or negative because I am still in denial of my results. Please help

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 January 2019 09:22

Hi there, It usually takes about 3 months of taking ARVs every day for your viral load to become undetectable.  If they did 2 HIV tests that were both positive then you do have HIV and do not need to retest.  If you do retest it will most likely be positive. It is very unlikely that it will be negative. When your viral load is undetectable it does not mean that you now HIV  negative. Do not stop taking your medication when your viral load is undetectable as it is the medication that is suppressing the viral load.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 December 2018 19:12

Is it possible to have unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+ and be not infected with that virus but being infected with STI

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 December 2018 22:59

Hi Lorde, thank  you for your question. It is possible to have unprotected sex and not be HIV positive straight away, that is because the virus takes time to spread and develop in the body that is why it is important to get tested every 3 months. Don't forget to use a condom every time you have sex.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 December 2018 19:10

Is it possible to have unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+ and be not infected but being infected by STI ð??­ð??­

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 December 2018 22:58

B-Wise User Anonymous 7 December 2018 00:37

I recently tested via screening but i was told that screening is not accurate and that i should do a blood test ,Gow true is that ?

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 December 2018 10:34

Dear Anonymous. Screening tests are there to help screen people who may be at high risk of infection, but they cannot be relied on for diagnosis (a process to determine which disease or condition you might have). Diagnosis is confirmed by a blood test that goes to the lab; and even in the lab, the positive test will also be confirmed with an additional different blood test, just to be sure that indeed the results are positive. So in short, even if you do self-screening tests, it may be necessary to go and have a blood test to confirm your results for sure.

B-Wise User Anonymous 6 December 2018 19:37

Hi, can my partner and I engage in an unprotected sex even though we are HIV Positive.

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 December 2018 11:42

Dear Anonymous. Having unprotected sex increases your chances of getting an STI and other infections. You can also fall pregnant. Just because you are both HIV positive, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t protect yourself from other risks. There are also chances of being infected with a different strain of HIV, and the risk is higher if you aren’t both on ARVs and don’t both have an undetectable viral load. It’s important to practice safe sex at all times. Using a condom can help protect you from STIs and other infections. Check out our articles from our Basics of S-E-X section and get more information on how you can protect yourself.

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 December 2018 18:59

Hi my boyfriend and I tested for HIV last week,I tested positive and him negative. I am confused became we have more that two years having unprotected sex and I never cheated on him,how is that possible?

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 December 2018 16:08

Dear Anonymous, well done for both testing for HIV. We understand that you are confused however it is possible to have unprotected sex many times and not get HIV from your HIV positive partner. There is also a risk of getting HIV if your partner is not on treatment and does not have a suppressed viral load. A suppressed viral load means that when the doctor or nurse take blood and send it to a laboratory for testing, the laboratory cannot find any HIV viruses in the blood. They still have HIV but they are taking their medication correctly every day , this means that the HIV is controlled and just stays in their immune organs and is not in the blood, semen or vaginal fluid. This would mean that their viral load blood test will come back showing no HIV (or a suppressed viral load).

It is also possible to have HIV for many years and to still be very healthy. It is therefore possible that you got HIV from someone else before you started dating your boyfriend.  It’s best would you start using condoms now and you start ARV medication. Your boyfriend can also ask his nearest clinic about providing him with ARVs to prevent him from getting HIV from you (called PrEP). After 6 months of being on ARVs, the clinic will test your blood for your HIV viral load and if you have been taking your tablets every day, your viral load test should show that your HIV virus is suppressed. If your viral load is suppressed then your boyfriend will not get HIV from you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 December 2018 16:00

Is it true that there's people who can not be infected with HIV because their blood type is unique it something?

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 December 2018 16:18

Dear Anonymous. Yes, there are a few people who have a rare genetic mutation (unusual gene) in their DNA called CCR5-delta32 which prevents HIV from entering their CD4 cells. It is a very rare genetic mutation.

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 December 2018 15:41

My girlfriend tested HIV positive and I tested HIV negative we been having unprotected for almost for 3 year's, how's that possible I'm confused

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 December 2018 16:48

Dear Anonymous, well done for both testing for HIV. We understand that you are confused however it is possible to have unprotected sex many times and not get HIV from your HIV positive partner. There is also a risk of getting HIV if your partner is not on treatment and does not have a suppressed viral load. A suppressed viral load means that when the doctor or nurse take blood and send it to a laboratory for testing, the laboratory cannot find any HIV viruses in the blood. They still have HIV but they are taking their medication correctly every day, so the HIV is controlled and just stays in their immune organs and is not in the blood, semen or vaginal fluid.  This would mean that their viral load blood test will come back showing no HIV (or a suppressed viral load).

It’s best you start using condoms now to prevent you from getting HIV and other sexual transmitted infections. You can also ask your nearest clinic about providing you with ARVs to prevent you from getting HIV (called PrEP). For more information about the benefits of using a condom, read our article Get yourself a condom – it’s still your best protection! .

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 December 2018 16:50

Why a lot of people who are on ARVs have a belly fat( mkhaba) Is there something people are not doing it right? Is there a way to change this? What kinds of food/ fruits and veggies are good for HIV+ people and the kind of exercises they need to perform everyday?

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 December 2018 13:00

Dear Anonymous. Thank you for your question. ARVs can cause you to gain weight. There's no specific eating plan for people with HIV, but an overall healthy diet can help your health a lot. The best thing you can do is to start exercising and eating healthy foods. Include lots of veggies and fruits in your diet and it’s best that you drink enough water daily to make sure your body is working well. Drinking a few glasses of water a day is a good way to start. You can also read our article Ways to flatten your belly and Eat well to stay well: Healthy food, healthy life for more information.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 November 2018 11:53

Good day. Is it true that now we have a pill that cures HIV called Gammora Drug? And where can one access it?

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 November 2018 12:33

Hi Nonceba, thank you for your interesting question. It seems like you have done a lot of research. Remember at the moment researchers are looking for a cure for HIV, meaning there is no cure that has been found to cure the infection. It is important that you continue to take your ARVs on time to suppress your viral load.

B-Wise User mapula1981 31 October 2018 16:09

What are the disadvantages of drinking arv s without checking your cd4 count

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 November 2018 09:53

Hi there, thank you for your question. There are different types of ARV's, a person will get a certain type of ARV depending on their CD4 count, that's why you need to visit you local clinic before you take ARVs and get checked by a nurse or a doctor.

B-Wise User Anonymous 30 October 2018 13:45

Is it safe for an HIV + person to clean his or her stomach especially using mist alba?

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 October 2018 15:32

Dear Anonymous. There is no need for you to detoxify your body. The liver does this work, and anyone with a healthy liver will be cleansed of toxins by their liver. However, detoxing in a natural way won’t have any effect on your CD4 count. Include lots of veggies and fruits in your diet and it’s best that you drink enough water daily to make sure your body is working well. Drinking a few glasses of water a day is a good way to start.

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 October 2018 16:45

I'm a female whos positive and my partner is negative and we trying to conceive but we dont know where to start cause i dont want to infect him

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 November 2018 09:13

Hi Lwandle007, thank you for your question. You can have children even if you are HIV positive, you can read this article to find out more info If I'm HIV positive, can I have kids? Its best that you visit a local clinic and speak to a health professional who will give you advice on how you and your partner can have children the safe way.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 October 2018 15:57

Where can i purchase Arv's if i dont want to go and collect at the clinic?

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 October 2018 16:33

Dear Anonymous. ARVs can only be prescribed by a medical doctor or a nurse clinician who has been trained in managing HIV. You can either get them for free at a public clinic or you can get a prescription from your doctor and pay for them at the pharmacy.

B-Wise User Anonymous 7 August 2018 20:22

who discovered HIV

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 August 2018 14:32

Hi there, that is a very interesting question. HIV was discovered by Luc Antoine Montagnier. If you interested about how a person can get HIV, you can check out our section on HIV for more information.

B-Wise User Esethubunge99 26 June 2018 11:20

Can you a boy sleep with his partner who is HIV negative for more than 100 times using no contraception and unaffected?.

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 July 2018 15:03

It can happen that a couple can have sex and not infect each other with  HIV or other STIs  but one never knows when the virus can spread,  so using condoms is the best way to protect yourself and your partner from spread of STIs and unplanned pregnancy (along with other methods to prevent pregnancy like pills, injectables, implant and intra-uterine methods). Certain factors can increase the risk of spreading HIV/STIs, like having any ulcers or other infections, or having a high amount of HIV in ones system (high viral load), but one cant predict perfectly whether the virus will spread, so it is always best to use condoms even if you know your partners HIV status.Hi thank you for your question. You don't have to have sex with your partner 100 times before you get HIV, you can get HIV after the first time you have sex with your partner without protection. Its very important that you use a condom every time you and your partner have sex, and you must get tested regularly to make sure that you get the right treatment if you need it.

B-Wise User Anonymous 27 February 2018 10:55

HIV vaccine why do HIV positive people use it they already have a virus don't you think it can destroy it???

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 February 2018 13:20

Hi there Anonymous. At the moment there is no vaccine that everyone can use for HIV prevention. There are tests that are being done for a vaccine to prevent HIV. If these tests work, it will be possible for the vaccine to be given to people that are HIV negative to protect them from getting the virus. It will still be some time before we know if the vaccine works for everyone. But anyone who is HIV positive can take anti-retroviral medication (ARVs), which can help to keep the virus under control.

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 February 2018 15:26

I recently started treatment for two weeks now and my partner has been on treatment for about a month now we were using a condom until we stopped twice now using it i wanna know about the reinfection in detail and if my pills will stop working on my body

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 April 2018 13:01

Hi, thank you for your question.

Well done to you both for starting antiretroviral therapy. You have made positive life choices and you are taking responsibly towards yourselves and each other.

With regards to reinfection,

Reinfection is not really a concern for you. This is mainly because both you and your partner have recently started ART and therefore you are unlikely to have drug resistance. If both you and your partner continue to take your treatment every day, you will have an undetectable viral load which will make you less likely to transmit HIV to one another. So long as you continue to take meds carefully and not miss doses, there is no reason that you will develop resistance in the future either.

The two main risks from not using a condom are pregnancy and other STIs. It is important that you use family planning to protect you against unwanted pregnancies. If STIs are a concern, condoms are the only way to protect against these.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 February 2018 09:02

i sleped with H.I.V woman 1 years ago and never got tested and i never got sick...am i still sick?

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 February 2018 11:16

Hi anonymous, we can understand if you are feeling worried, as there is a chance you could be HIV-infected. However, the best answer is to take matters into your own hands and go for an HIV test. Then you can stop wondering, and you will know.

Remember you need not get sick if you have HIV. In fact many people around you are possibly taking ARVs and living happy, healthy lives without anyone knowing they are HIV-infected. Once you have been diagnosed, you can start treatment immediately and go on with your life. Unfortunately, if you don’t get tested and you are HIV-infected, then you could become sick in the future.

So we would suggest you go to your local clinic and request HIV testing. If you have a current sexual partner then you could consider taking them with for a test. You can locate your nearest clinic here.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 February 2018 08:55

i have partner tht past away 5yrs ago because of H.I.V and now 2yrs back i had two womans sleeping with them no condom...they s

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 10:12

Hi there, thank you for your question. Remember that it is best for you to go tested for HIV regularly.

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 January 2018 15:36

Can i still have hiv if my partner has been taking arvs for more than 4 years,and he take them everyday..

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 January 2018 17:52

The PARTNERS study showed us that if one’s partner is HIV infected but their viral load is low because they're on antiretrovirals, then chances of you getting HIV are zero. However, this being said, taking your ARVs every day does not ensure you will have a suppressed viral load.

There are a couple of situations in which you could have gotten HIV:

1)      If they were not taking the treatment correctly before, they may have developed resistance which would mean their ARVs are not working and their virus was not suppressed.

For this reason, it is always recommended to use a condom each time you have sex to protect yourself.

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 November 2017 22:12

What does it mean when they say that your viral load is below detectable

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 December 2017 22:59

Hi, Anonymous. A viral load that is below detectable is a viral load that has been lowered so much by ARV medication, that when it is tested, the results come back as below detectable. This means that the ARVs are working and are keeping the virus levels low/undetectable. Sometimes if a person tests for HIV at this level the HIV test may be negative, but this is a false negative. This does not mean the HIV is cured, because ARVs do not cure HIV, but they lower the levels of HIV in the blood. If a person has a low viral load, they need to continue taking their ARVs so that the level of HIV stays low, and using condoms every time they have sex. Having a low viral load means you have less risk of getting other illnesses (also called opportunistic infections).

B-Wise User Dr Tefo 22 November 2017 17:26

I have recently joined this great movement of AYFS. I'm glad the department has taken an initiative in ensuring that our adolescent and youth are well informed about their health needs are able to get help with unnecessary delay. I'm a Doctor working in rural areas of the North West province and I will sell this idea to our youth as much as I can.

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:44

Hi there DR. Thank you for your response, helping the youth is our goal thank you for letting the youth know about BWiseHealth.com.

B-Wise User Ofentse 23 October 2017 15:10

If m a man who have done medical male circumcision is it possible DAT will nva get HIV .because they says u only get it if u HV an entry point .if I don't HV can I get it.

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 October 2017 15:42

Hi Ofentse, this is an important question. Research has shown that circumcision reduces HIV transmission to men by 60%. This means that the risk is less when one is circumcised, BUT it doesn’t mean that circumcision will stop HIV infection. This means you still need to use a condom every time you have sex, even though you are circumcised. Also, remember that circumcision only reduces HIV transmission from women to men during sex – it does not reduce the transmission from men to women.

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 September 2017 09:24

Hi. I would like to understand what must I do I tested positive. Now in 2 months taking therapy so blood tested results said my kidney functions very well. I'm taking lot of water/fluids. But back ache is killing me. Wake me up at midnight very very sewer. What could be the problems please. Please help me.

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 September 2017 14:06

Hi Anonymous, well done on starting ART! As your blood test results have come back normal, this means that your kidneys are working normally and have not been affected by your medication. There are many other causes of lower back pain. It could be related to the muscles in your back, a problem with one of your internal organs (like your gall bladder) or could be a referred pain from elsewhere in the body (such as the knee). If the pain is so severe that it is waking you up at night, you should consult with your healthcare worker to ensure that the pain is not a symptom of a more serious problem. If a more serious problem has been not been identified then the health care worker will prescribe analgesia and a muscle rub for you to use.

B-Wise User Anonymous 30 August 2017 13:22

How do I breastfeed when I am HIV positive...? Is it a wise decision? Is the baby protected? How do u keep baby safe if u like to breastfeed?

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 April 2018 14:06

Hi thank you for your question. It is safe to breastfeed when you are HIV positive as long as you are taking ARVS's. You need to make sure that you are taking your medication on time. It is important that you go to the local clinic to talk to a nurse or doctor that will give the baby the right medication to prevent the baby from getting HIV.

B-Wise User Anonymous 28 August 2017 16:17

I'm feeling dizzy this days. What may be the course please.

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 September 2017 11:20

Dear Anonymous, The cause of your dizziness could be one of many things such as a migraine, certain medications, alcohol or problems with the inner ear. To find out what it is, it’s best to have a face-to-face visit with a healthcare professional, where they will be able to get the full story and do a full examination/assessment to find the cause. So please visit your nearest clinic. If you’re not sure where your nearest clinic is, our clinic finder and rating system can help.

B-Wise User Anonymous 28 August 2017 14:49

Hi what happens if I don't take my ARVs at the same time but do take them everyday just that there is time difference of 30 minutes

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 September 2017 11:26

Dear Anonymous, Thank you for this very important question! It’s best for you to take your ARV tablets at the same time every day because this prevents viral replication (multiplication of the virus). If you take your medication late, the virus starts replicating and the viral load can start going up. But even when you are late, you still have to take your treatment – better late than not at all! Just make sure you are not late very often.

B-Wise User Anonymous 28 August 2017 12:20

I need to know if the viral load is given at first after test. When they give cd4 results. Because I'm doing life cover insurance is needed.

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 September 2017 11:58

Dear Anonymous, The viral load is usually not done when you first get diagnosed with HIV. A CD4 count is usually done in the beginning without a viral load. A viral load is usually done once you have been on treatment for 6 months, and then at 12 months. A viral load is used to tell doctors the level of the virus (HIV) in the blood, and if it is coming down once you are on treatment. Some doctors in private hospitals and clinics do take an initial viral load, but in government facilities, they usually do not take until 6, 12 and 24 months, and then once a year after that.

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 August 2017 13:37

Sides effect of the arv last for 2 weeks according to information I got. But now I'm in week 5 is that good to change therapy.

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 August 2017 17:47

Hi Anonymous, ARV side effects usually last for just a few weeks and then improve, but sometimes it can take longer. It would be best to go and see the health care provider you saw before and discuss with them how you are feeling, so you can together decide what to do.​ Need help finding your nearest clinic? No worries! You can find and rate your local clinic here: http://ow.ly/swnH30euYE2

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 August 2017 14:29

Hi iam taking ARV's it is alcohol good for my health?

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 August 2017 18:10

Hi Anonymous, You can have some alcohol while you are on ARVs – however, you need to drink as little as possible, because heavy alcohol intake may have many negative effects such as:

• Forgetting to take your ARVs at the right time
  • If you combine some ARVs with alcohol, the alcohol can make side effects like drowsiness even worse
  •  Your overall health may be affected (for example, heavy drinking can take away your appetite, and that could make you lose weight)
  •  If you are anaemic as a result of HIV or the ARVs you are taking, this could be made worse by alcohol

So it’s important that you limit your alcohol use, and take your ARVs at the correct time always!

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 August 2017 21:10

Hy m pregnant nd hiv positive nd my partner is negative we''ve been dating 5years he got type o blood is it possible dat he don't get other infections or s t I

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 August 2017 08:42

Hi Anonymous, thanks for the question. Someone’s blood type cannot protect them from getting HIV or STIs. Because of the structure of women’s bodies (the way women are built) and the way sexual intercourse works, it’s easier for women to get HIV than it is for men. Your current partner has been very lucky to not have acquired HIV up until now, but there is no guarantee that he will not get HIV in the future. The safest way to make sure that your partner stays HIV negative is to use condoms each and every time you have sex. Also make sure to take anti-retroviral therapy (ART) to keep yourself healthy and to prevent the HIV from being transmitted to your unborn baby

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 August 2017 21:10

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 10:55

Hi, thank you for your question. Yes, it is possible for your partner to get HIV, you don't have to be a certain blood type for you to get HIV. For more information you can read our article on If I decide to get tested, does the person I'm having sex with have to get tested too?

Remember to always use a condom every time you have sex to protect  yourself and your partner from STIs and HIV

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 August 2017 23:31

Hello. I am a 27year old female from Mpumalanga. I have been dating 2 guys for the past few months. I have done some research on HIV and I found out that you can have unprotected sex with both of my boyfriends and still not get infected that's if they are both HIV negative and they don't sleep with anyone else except for me. Sometime last month I decided to go get tested with the both of them and luckily they are both HIV negative. So I just need to find out how true are my findings from my research because the 3 of us are ready to have unprotected sex.

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 August 2017 08:43

Hi Anonymous, it’s great that you are doing research to take care of your health. It is true that if neither of your partners has HIV, and you are also HIV negative, then HIV can’t be transmitted. The problem is that there is no guarantee that all partners will remain HIV negative. If one partner has a relationship (or even a one-night stand) outside of this one, then there is a chance they may get HIV from that person and pass it on to everyone involved in your relationship.  The best and safest thing you can do is to use condoms with anyone every time you have sex.

B-Wise User Anonymous 27 July 2017 15:21

I am Lindy from Jhb. My partner is HIV- & I'm HIV+ but always he doesn't want to use condom so is it safe for both of us 2do so?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 10:59

Hi Lindy, thank you for your question. It is important for your partner to use a condom if he doesn't want to get HIV. If he doesn't want to use condoms, you can always use a female condom to protect yourself and your partner from getting HIV,STIs or unplanned pregnancies.

Remember the condom is your best protection!

B-Wise User Lindy 27 July 2017 15:20

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:00

Remember the condom is your best protection!

B-Wise User Anonymous 27 July 2017 15:19

B-Wise Expert Expert 3 August 2017 16:39

Hi Lindy, this is a very important question. The simple answer is: it is not safe. Even if you are virally suppressed (when the function and replication of a virus is reduced) and healthy, a small chance of transmission remains. Condoms are also important for preventing the spread of STIs, some of which can cause long term problems.

B-Wise User Anonymous 22 April 2017 12:28

Ungaphila ithuba elinganani uleHIV

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 April 2017 11:18

Hi, a person with HIV can live as long as a person without HIV. As long as they take ARVs, regularly visit their clinic for check-ups and live a healthy lifestyle.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 April 2017 21:31

What do i have to do help me ,i want 2 find acceptence abt my status ,what should i do?

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 April 2017 11:12

Hi, Thank you for sending this question to B-Wise. There are different kinds of acceptance. There’s self-acceptance, which means you accept your own HIV status. This can take a short time or a long time, depending on the person. Sometimes it’s very difficult to accept your own status and it can make you feel sad, scared, confused or angry. That’s OK – it’s part of the journey. Finding acceptance means working through all those feelings, and accepting that HIV will always be a part of your life, but that you can still have a long and healthy life. There is also acceptance from other people – and this is sometimes hard because you can’t control how other people feel. But you can tell people you trust about your status, those who will accept you for who you are. These people are more likely to accept your status too.

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 25 October 2016 11:23

Mampe asked on Facebook:Hi BWise Team I would like to know what should be done to solve my Male friends problem who's HIV+ on ARV's who for the past year is having a problem of discharge(boladu) & rotten private part while he was still attending Local Clinic that later referred him to Baragwanath Hospital but his situation is getting worse even after they inserted a draining pipe?Pls help i'm worried

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 October 2016 14:00

Hi Mamphe, we are sorry to hear about your friend. The right treatment for him depends on what is causing the discharge and sores. It could be an infection or cancer. Since your friend is getting treatment at the hospital, this means the cause for the infection can be found and he can be given the correct treatment. The pipe they have inserted into the penis is to help him to pass urine easily without causing him pain. It will be removed when he gets better.

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 19 October 2016 10:20

Mampe asked on Facebook:Hi BeWise Team i've started my ARV's treatment 2yrs ago taking 1 pill every night at the same time after an hour eating as i was taught to but lately i'm experiencing stomach cramps at night as i'm suffering insomnia too' what could be a problem because i'm drinking enough water & i make sure i eat healthy enough.

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:29

Hi Mampe, Sorry to hear you or your listener is having trouble with sleeping and getting stomach cramps. Antiretrovirals (ARVs) have different side effects. depending on which kind you are taking. For example, the medicine called, Efavirenz, can cause insomnia, while medicines like AZT and Aluvia can cause stomach cramps. Sometimes not eating before you take your medicine or taking another medicine with your ARVs can give you stomach cramps. It is a good idea to talk to your nurse or doctor and let them know you are having problems. They may be able to give you a different medication or change your dosage. Just remember to keep taking your ARVs no matter what and only make the changes your doctor or nurse recommends.

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 October 2016 14:00

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 17 October 2016 11:53

Mampe asked on Facebook:Hi Guys is Mampe Likhoeli frm Sharpeville I would like to know dangers of sniffing snuff while a person is infected (with HIV) & is on ARV's?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:29

Hi, Mampe. Thank you for another interesting question. Snuff is made of tobacco and has nicotine. This makes it unsafe and very addictive. It can cause illnesses, such as swelling of the sinuses, runny or blocked nose, cancer, stroke and heart attack. The effects are even worse if you are HIV positive and on ARV treatment. It is better to avoid using snuff.

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 October 2016 14:00

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 30 August 2016 11:19

Mampe asked on Facebook:Hi BWise Team can U help me answer 1of my Listeners as i do HIV/AIDS features on different Community Radio's Stations around Vaal' She's on ARV'S for 3yrs now but complains about swollen feet & has no high blood pressure nor heart problem,She says sometimes it get worse that She can't walk...WHAT MUST BE DONE because Sisters says She will be fine?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:46

Hi Mampe, thanks for using B-wise as your reference on your radio show. Swollen feet can be caused by different things - many of these are not related to HIV or HIV medicines. They can range from heart problems (as you have said) to problems with the kidneys, liver or even veins in the legs. Your listener should return to the clinic and explain exactly what happens to her legs, when it happens and for how long this has been occurring. If the Sister is unsure, she will refer her to a doctor or hospital for further tests.

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 August 2016 11:00

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 17 August 2016 11:07

Mampe asked on Facebook:Evening Guys is Mampe Likhoeli frm Sharpeville in the Vaal again' i'm worried because since i was diagnosed 1999 but started taking treatment in 2014 with a CD4 count of 349 now i'm non-detactable but it feels like my stomach needs servicing though i drink enough water & eating healthy WHAT MUST I DO?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:56

Hi, Mampe. Thanks again for another interesting question. It is not a good idea to use anything that causes diarrhoea, as the body does not need to be cleaned by vomiting or diarrhoea. Doing this can be dangerous. It causes a water imbalance and imbalance of other important things in your body called electrolytes. This can also be dangerous if you are taking ARVs, because it can make your viral load high and CD4 count low. This which leads to a low immune system, which can make you sick. If you are feeling that you don't have enough energy, try taking a multivitamin or vitamin B. It is also a good idea to visit your clinic or doctor for a check-up.

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 August 2016 11:00

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 August 2016 14:23

5 ways which HIV can be contracted

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:58

Hi Anonymous. Thank you for that interesting questions. Here are 5 ways HIV can be contracted: 1. Sexual intercourse without a condom with a person who is HIV positive. 2. Using injections (needles) or blades that were used by a HIV positive person. 3. Contact with body fluids of a HIV positive person. For example from blood or semen. This includes oral sex or touching someone's blood while you have cuts or sores. 4. A person can be born with it if their mother is HIV positive and not on treatment. 5. From a mother who is HIV positive and is breast-feeding their child.

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 August 2016 13:00

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 August 2016 13:57

Is it normal wen u re taking your ARVs and you became fat i mean I'm getting big ,i was 55kg before now I'm 98kg,and am having 11months on my medication now

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:59

Hi Anonymous. Thank you very much for your question. Yes, ARVs can cause you to gain weight. The best thing you can do is to start exercising and eating healthy foods (like fruits and vegetables) instead of junk food (like takeaways and sweets) in order to lose weight in a healthy way.

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 August 2016 13:30

B-Wise User Anonymous 3 August 2016 00:25

Lawa amanje ama arvs ayawushitsha yini mzimba womuntu ube enye indlela engasafana nalena obuyiyona,akwakhe isifumbu nezihluzu

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:00

Hi Anonymous. Thanks for the interesting question. Newer ARVs don't have the same side effects as the older drugs. The side affects you mentioned were common with the older drugs, but don't usually happen with the current ARVs.

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 August 2016 14:39

B-Wise User BWise Moderators 2 August 2016 13:50

Mampe asked on Facebook: Is it possible for HIV+ Patient to be off His/Her treatment because of taking another treatment like Kidney failer & liver problem but after treatment of those 2 problems not continue with Her/His ARV'S treatment? if so what must be done because the Clinic refuses to put Her/Him back to ARV'S.

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 April 2017 21:14

Once you are diagnosed with HIV it is important to start your ARVs and not stop taking them. If you have very bad side effects from the ARVS, then a healthcare worker can stop you for a while or change your ARV treatment. If severe side effects occur as a result of ART use, very occasionally a health care worker may suspend ART use temporarily or may change the type of ART drugs used. Some ARVs can cause kidney and liver problems. If this happens then it is important that the ARVs are changed to ones that don’t affect the kidneys or liver or take a smaller dose. If the clinic does not want to put you back on ARVs then ask them to refer you to a bigger HIV clinic for further management.

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 July 2016 16:54

Uma si posetive sobabili nomuntu wami and asisebenzisi condom kungaba igciwane liyabhebhetheka olthoug siwudla kahle umshanguzo

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:04

Hi Anonymous, thanks for this great question. Yes, it is possible to be re-infected with HIV if you have sex without a condom. The HIV virus changes very quickly in the body. The virus in your body and the one in your partner's body is not the same. This is why "re-infection" can happen: you can get a new kind of HIV from your partner, and sometimes one person has a type of HIV that doesn't respond to medicine (ARVs). Condoms can help stop you and your partner from re-infecting each other. Condoms are also important for making sure you don't get other sexually transmitted infections (STI's) and for preventing pregnancy. To keep you and your partner safe, make sure you always use condoms.

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 August 2016 12:00