Having thoughts about killing yourself?

When a person decides they want to die NOW it is a sign to get immediate help. The feeling of wanting to die doesn’t have to be because of an event, it can just be that you are tired of feeling so bad or think that you’re never going to feel better. Or you may feel the problem is never going to get better. Sometimes you are very sad and want to escape your difficult feelings. Or you think that the situation will be better without you in it.

Suicide attempts can happen impulsively. A situation like a breakup, a big fight with a parent, an unwanted pregnancy, being “outed” by someone else, or being bullied in any way can cause you to feel desperately upset and trapped. Often, a situation like this, on top of an existing depression, acts like the final straw.

Many adolescents who were interviewed after attempting suicide (trying to kill themselves) said that they did it because they were trying to escape from a situation that seemed impossible to deal with. They also wanted to stop the really bad thoughts or feelings.

If you (or a friend) is seriously thinking about suicide, it is time to get help - as soon as possible. You are not alone and there are people who want to help you. Call a helpline or tell a trusted adult about what is going on.

You can get help:
  • Childline: 08000 55 555
  • Life Line: 0861 322 322
  • Suicide Crisis Line: 0800 567 567 or SMS 31393

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 24 June 2020 19:29

Which of the help numbers are on WhatsApp

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 June 2020 08:57

You can try Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Anonymous 1 June 2020 20:38

When I think of me unable to fall pregnant I feel very depressed I'm 33 without a child pain me everyday I feel empty and dead

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2020 14:50

Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 April 2020 23:52

IS IT HEALTHY FOR SOMEONE TO FEEL AS IF NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL BECAUSE SOMETIMES I JUST WANT TO END THE PAIN I FEEL BUT THE THOUGHT OF LIVING MY SON IS UNBEARABLE I HAVE 8 YEARS OLD BOY WHO IS AUTISTIC I'VE BEEN IN A HELL OF MARRIAGE FOR 24 YEARS NOW EVEN TODAY IM STILL IN PAIN I HAVE NO ONE TO SHARE MY SORROWS WITH PLEASE HELP ME

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 April 2020 16:08

I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much pain.

Please make use of the follow numbers for help by talking to someone:

Suicide crisis line: 0800 567 567 or sms 31393

Depression and Mental Health Helpline: call 0800 567 567 daily between 8am and 89pm for counseling and referral if you're suffering from depression, anxiety or mental health issues

The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG): 011- 262-6396

Mental health line: 011 783 1474

B-Wise User Luyanda 4 July 2017 23:26

Last year i was trying to kill my self with water,jick,handy handy,and spritti...?because of i was thinking no one likes me

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 July 2017 12:32

Hi Luyanda, sounds like you were feeling really down last year. It can be so painful if we feel like people don’t like us or don’t care about us. Sometimes we feel like escaping all those bad feelings. But no matter what other people think about you, you are special and important, and your life is precious. If you’re still feeling like you might want to hurt yourself or kill yourself, or even if you just want support, there is help out there. Tell an adult you trust, like a teacher, nurse, doctor or counsellor. If you can’t find someone you trust, call Lifeline on 0861 322 322.