Help & Support: Infectious diseases

The best place to get help or advice is always at your local clinic or doctor. These specialist organisations can help you with HIV/Aids or TB.

• Contact the National AIDS Helpline on 0800 012 322.
  • HIVSA provides help and support if you are affected by HIV HIVSA 011 494 1900
  • Reach HIV 911 on 0860 HIV 911 (0860 448 911) or sms 45080 for referral of HIV queries to the right place.
  • Contact LoveLife's toll-free youth line on 0800 121 900. Or, to get a free call send a Plz Cal Me from Vodacom: 1400833231023# from MTN:1210833231023# from Cell C: 1110833231023#
  • National HIV Health Care Workers Hotline 0800 212 506
  • The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) 021 422 1700
  • Get online support for TB from that SA National Tuberculosis Association (SANTA) santa.org.za or call them in Johannesburg 011 454 0260

If you are living with HIV and need counseling, empowerment or training, call the National Association of People Living with AIDS (NAPWA) on 011 873 7156/8. Help is available in all provinces.

To find out if you qualify for social grants contact the Social Grants Helpline 0800 601 011

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 March 2019 15:52

Hy I need to know what heppens if someone is HIV positive and been taking the ARV'S for two years but still their viral load don't go down .

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 March 2019 10:43

Dear Anonymous. There are many reason why your body may not be responding to HIV treatment. Poor absorption of the drug, meaning the amount of drug that is absorbed in the bloodstream. If you vomit after drinking your ARVs, this might affect the amount of drug that stays in your system. Not taking your medication as prescribe might also have an effect. Drug resistance is one of the most common and serious reasons for treatment not working. It’s best you visit your nearest clinic and a doctor should review your entire medical history to find any possible treatment opportunities. Use our Clinic Finder to help you find a clinic near you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 January 2019 14:22

Hi,I'm 21 years of age last year I around May I got tested 4 HIV and my results csme back positive so I had told my boyfriend that I'm HIV+ So he needs 2 go and test. He insisted that we go 2geda and test so we went there around August and d results came back HIV negative 4 d both of us how's tht possible?

B-Wise Expert Expert 14 January 2019 12:25

Hi there. The protocol for HIV testing says once one test comes back positive, that test has to be repeated using a different type of test kit.
It is always best  when you get a positive finger prick HIV test for health care providers to confirm you HIV test results with a blood test that goes to the lab, especially if the two different finger prick tests did not give the same results. Sometimes there may be quality issues with the types of tests kits used.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 December 2018 10:06

I need help it been years now I've got genital wart I don't what am I supposed to do because they fail to treat me at the hospital i really need help but I'm pregnant for now

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 December 2018 22:51

Hi Pinky, thank you for your question. It is important to get checked properly by a nurse or a doctor. When you go to get checked up for your regular pregnancy check up talk to your doctor about your concerns.

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 June 2018 20:30

I need help. I think I have an infection, my vagina itches a lot and I don't understand why. Often when I use condom during sexual inter course. I need to know what should I take to stop the itchiness.

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 June 2018 10:38

Hi there , thank you for your question. There can be a number of reasons why you have an itchy vagina. It is possible that you are experiencing itchiness because of pubic hair or because of sweat. It is important that you know how to take care of vagina. You can read this article for more information How to keep your vagina healthy .If you feel that this itchyness is too much its best for you to go visit a local clinic to get checked by a nurse or a doctor as it may be an STI.

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 January 2017 15:47

Hi, I will like to know more about Herpes. Is it true that once you have herpes type 1 it does not get out of your system? If it is yes true, what happens? Does the herpes becomes dormant?

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 January 2017 11:58

Hi anonymous, Great question! There are two types of herpes: Type 1 is oral (mouth) herpes, which causes cold sores and is spread by contact like from kissing or using the same lip ice/lipstick or cup. Many people never have any signs or symptoms so they never realise they have it. Type 2 is sexually transmitted and causes genital herpes. Symptoms of genital herpes are usually painful blisters or ulcers, but many infections have mild or no symptoms. Once you have a herpes infection, your symptoms will keep coming back, because the virus goes dormant. Symptoms usually become less intense each time they come back.  The only way to make sure you don’t get infected with type 2 Herpes, HIV and other STIs, is to use a condom every time you have sex.

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 May 2016 14:35

Do people with HIV get to a point of stopping taking their medication, if so when and why?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:41

Hi Anonymous, this is a very important question. More and more HIV positive people are using antiretrovirals (ARVs) which help them live longer. These drugs are not a cure for HIV/AIDS, but can extend the life of somebody living with HIV. Some people stop taking medication, because they dont like the side-effects or dont understand what they are supposed to do. It is never a good idea to stop any medication, including ARVs, without the say so of the doctor. If you have any questions or concerns about the medicine that you are taking, speak to your doctor about it before deciding to stop. If you or someone you know is living with HIV and need help, call the National Association of People Living with AIDS (NAPWA) on 011 873 7156/8.

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 May 2016 14:09