Help & Support: Mental Health & Substance Abuse

If you're struggling with feelings of hopelessness or depression, or rely on substances like alcohol or drugs to help you cope, talk to these people:

• Suicide crisis line: 0800 567 567 or sms 31393
  • Depression and Mental Health Helpline: call 0800 567 567 daily between 8am and 89pm for counseling and referral if you're suffering from depression, anxiety or mental health issues
  • The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG): 011- 262-6396
  • Mental health line: 011 783 1474
  • Substance Abuse Helpline 0800 121314 can give you help and information about alcohol and drug abuse. SMS line: 32312
  • The National Tobacco Quit Line at 011 7203145 can give you information on tobacco and how to stop smoking.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous SA National Helpline: 0861 435 722
  • Al-Anon(for family and friends of alcoholics): 0861 252 666
  • Alateen (group for young people with alcohol problems): 0861 252 666/ 021 595-4508
  • Narcotics Anonymous: 083 900 6962
  • Narconon South Africa: 011 622-3998

For help with overwhelming life challenges or suicidal feelings, speak to someone who is trained to listen. Contact Lifeline:

• LifeLine Durban: 031 303 1344
  • LifeLine East London: 043 743 7266
  • LifeLine Free State: 057 357 2746
  • LifeLine Johannesburg: 011 728 1331
  • LifeLine Klerksdorp: 018 462 7838
  • LifeLine Nelspruit: 013 755 2635
  • LifeLine Rustenburg: 014 594 1592/3158
  • LifeLine Vaal Triangle (Acorn Park): 016 428 1740
  • LifeLine Western Cape (Cape Town): 021 461 1113
  • LifeLine West Rand (Krugersdorp): 011 665 2281
  • LifeLine Zululand: 035 797 3250

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 November 2018 16:34

Hi. I need advice on something. So I have a 16 month old son and his father has not been fully supportive towards the child (we are still in a relationship). He thinks supporting the child financially makes everything okay.My life has changed immensely ever since I've had a child and I never have a break or some time away from the child to at least enjoy my social life. All that has changed and the father of the child is just not bothered. This has affected me so much that I've ended up with depression and anxiety. I sometimes feel likw breaking up with him coz I'm never happy even when I'm around him... Kindly advice, what should I do?

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 November 2018 11:15

Hi there Tumi Deigh. Thank you for you concerning question, remember in any relationship its important to talk to your partner about how you are feeling. If you are feeling depressed and feel that you may need someone to speak a counsellor you can check out this article to help you Help & Support: Mental Health & Substance Abuse

B-Wise User Selina1987 4 November 2018 16:31

I have been suffering from anxiety since May 2018 i do not know how to deal with it because im struggling to get help from the clinic sometimes things get so tough that i feel like im going to die if i dont get help i feel like everyone close to me is pulling away and i find it difficult to speak to them so i keep everything to myself and other times i feel like maybe of i die everyone will be happy but then i think of my daughter and what will happen to her if i kill myself im always leaving in fear of everything and everyone around me and i feel like locking myself and my kid in the house and not see anyone for us to be safe.

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 November 2018 11:06

Hi Selina, thank you for your question. Suffering from anxiety is a very difficult situation, well done for reaching out for help that is a big step. Killing yourself is not a good option especially because you have a daughter to take care of. There is help that is available, there are people who will talk to you and help you through this difficult situation. You can get all the numbers here Help & Support: Mental Health & Substance Abuse

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 September 2018 18:41

Lately I have been feeling like nothing is going write whatever I do I do it bad, I argue with people so I can create fights just to get that little attention and I'm scared I'm pushing people I love away, and Im also scared that I would end up hurting myself because I have been having suicidal comments and I'm scared I might also hurt my baby in the same process.. What can I do to solve my mental health or the way I think and do things?

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 September 2018 11:46

Hi there, we all go through bad times in our lives. Sometimes things go wrong, we fail at something, people hurt us, we lose relationships, someone close to us passes away, or we feel hopeless. In those tough times, we feel so desperate, we just want the pain to stop. You are not alone… Click here to find people you can talk to http://ow.ly/3MnG30lOMgY