If I'm not having sex, why do I need to get an HPV vaccination?

You might have heard teachers, nurses or doctors telling you that you're going to get an HPV vaccination. You might be saying, Wait. Hold up. Isn't HPV a sexually transmitted infection (STI)? But I'm not having sex. Do I need this?

The answer is, yes. Actually, the best time to get the vaccination is before you've started having sex. Vaccines are medicines given to us to prevent us from getting diseases, which means it's best to get a vaccine before you're exposed to HPV. That's why you probably got some vaccines when you were a baby – the earlier you get them, the better.

Getting vaccinated is not always fun – you have to get injections – but it's a pretty small price to pay for what you get. The HPV vaccine doesn't just protect you against HPV itself, it also protects you from getting cervical cancer as well.

So, getting an HPV vaccination is really effective before you've become sexually active. If you are already sexually active, though, it's still a good idea to get it. If you haven't already got HPV, it can protect you against getting it in the future.

Likes

jodey black 14 August 2018 15:34

I've been smoking crystal meth, then suddenly started having stomach cramps and a few days after i started smelling poop til today even my rectum is a bit sore, this has been going on for about two months and i never went to a clinic/hospital. What could possibly be the problem ??

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 August 2018 15:36

Hi there, thank you for your question. This is one of the effects of smoking crystal meth, it can damage your organs. It may seem difficult going to the clinic or the hospital, but remember doctors and nurses are there to help you and give you the right treatment. Crystal meth can be difficult to quite but it can be very dangerous for your health.  Remember you are not alone, there are people who you can call and they will help you such as Narcotics Anonymous: 083 900 6962 and Narconon South Africa: 011 622-3998

Uyolo Kentane 9 June 2018 16:31

Good day I am looking for a very informative brochure for parents . I attend a private school so the vaccine was never offered when I was in grade 4 . I would like our principal to allow a doctor to give a talk during patents meeting and brochure to be printed and issued out . I think many young people will miss opportunity to be vaccinated when their parents could afford the vaccine if they had knowledge.

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 June 2018 14:59

Hi Anonymous. Thank you for your request. Please can you send us your contact details so we can discuss this further. You can send them to bwisemoderators@gmail.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Uyolo Kentane 9 June 2018 16:30

The message that was sent on the 9th of June 2018 14:25 is by Uyolo Kentane when you do Reply please send me an email at Kentaneuyolo@gmail.com I'd like to communicate with you for a project that I am doing about HPV

Anonymous 9 June 2018 16:25

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 June 2018 13:08

Hi there, thank you for getting in touch with us. Its a great initiative, it is always a good idea to inform the parents about vaccines and what they are all about. You can take a look at our section on Vaccines for more information. You can also download these articles and it can be used as a booklet that you can give to the parents.

Claudel Draai 25 August 2017 17:52

Could you please give more info regarding the HPV vaccine what it contains and how the vaccine work

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 September 2017 14:19

Hi Claudel Draai, thanks for your question! The HPV vaccine reduces the risk of cervical cancer and ano-genital warts in girls and women. The vaccine has proteins in it, which look a lot like HPV (but are NOT HPV – there’s no HPV in the vaccine!). Because they look like HPV, the proteins in the vaccine get your body to make HPV antibodies to protect your body against HPV. So if you ever get exposed to the real HPV, those antibodies will block HPV from infecting your body. This is why the HPV vaccine is most effective if you get it before you start having sex. 3 doses of the vaccine are usually given within 6 months. If you would like more information on the vaccine, please speak to a healthcare worker at your closest hospital or clinic, or read more about HPV in our HPV Section on B-Wise.

Anonymous 23 November 2016 12:58

At what age must children start to vacccinate?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:11

Hi there, thanks for your question. Vaccination of babies starts when they are born and continues up till the age of 12. They are available for free at all public health facilities. If you think any have been missed, take the child and their immunization card to your local clinic and the nurse can give them any vaccines they might need. To receive more information about your baby for free from NDOH, register for MomConnect at your local clinic or dial * 134 * 550 #.

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 November 2016 14:00