Managing your time at school, college or university

Studying can get hectic, whether you’re at school or in tertiary education. If you have too many things to do and not enough time, it might help to try some time management strategies.

Time management means choosing how you spend your time, so that you make the most of it, and get everything done that you want to. Here are some useful strategies to help you manage your time better:

• Eat the frog! This means starting by doing the thing you really don’t want to do (the frog). When you’ve finished that, everything feels a little bit easier.
  • Make a study timetable. As soon as you know when your tests, assignments and exams will be, mark them on your calendar. Then think about how much time you will need to prepare for all of these, and schedule study times for yourself. Be honest with yourself – don’t give yourself only a day to study for an exam!
  • File your work. If you file your work every day after school, you won’t spend time looking for notes at exam time.
  • Cut down on activities that waste your time. Whether it’s being on social media, or watching TV, give yourself a time limit for these breaks, and stick to it!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Time management takes some planning and effort, but your future success is SO worth it. And if studying is stressing you out, take a look at our article on “How to manage your stress”.

Likes

B-Wise User Kitkat 22 June 2020 23:14

Hi there I have a big problem with coping with my school work and sometimes when I try to concentrate my family will not give me peace and am so addicted to my phone when I want to write and I get a text from my friends I forget about writing and I will tell myself that I will write the next day so please help me what should I do to make time for everything

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 June 2020 16:36

Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Tshireletso Emgee 17 June 2020 20:40

Hy , I have trouble studying bcos every time I study I don't understand anything even when someone reads for me I just become confused..... I really struggle at school

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 June 2020 11:53

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 May 2020 23:45

Hi doc Everytime I try to study I feel it's worthless and I start crying ð??¢ and since 2 year back I started feeling lonely I felt like no one loves I started crying every night I don't know what wrong with me and my marks started dropping because of stress or isn't depression I felt like that since my family said I won't be a doctor I just want to die if I wake up tomorrow it will be a miracle I just want to die I feel helpless ð??£ I don't know who am I. am I going to be what I want. It's better to die coz I can't study I just hear that voice that say I won't be a doctor but it's fine my life was meant to be a bad girl who is nothing to her parents because her parents likes her sister and brags about her

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 May 2020 17:28

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Liyakhanya 30 March 2020 21:41

But what if you have a big distractive family

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 14:03

Perhaps something that will help is to find a place to study or work where you can get away from your family for a bit and concentrate on what you need to do.

Another option is to find times (maybe when your family is asleep) to do your work.