My girlfriend is pregnant – what now?

As an adolescent male, it’s a true shock to hear, “bae, I’m pregnant”. Eish joe, hearing this could be terrifying. You may have a million thoughts going through your mind…

How did this happen?

Is she playing with my emotions?

How am I going to feed the child? After all, I am a child myself!

Yehlisa umoya and calm down.

At this point it’s a good first step to get confirmation through a pregnancy test or by going to the clinic. Remember, you need to be supportive to your girlfriend – she could also be going through a lot of the same emotions as you.

If the test comes out positive, it’s a good time to get trusted adults involved. Adults are not all the same: some might be understanding and some might find it hard to accept.

Becoming a parent is a big deal and you don’t want to rush things. It’s important to think about all your options. What options do you and your girlfriend have if she is pregnant?

•  Be parents to the child.
  • Put the child up for adoption.
  • Apply for foster care. Find out about who qualifies for foster care here.
  • Termination of pregnancy (abortion). This is only possible in the first 4 months of the pregnancy.

Any of these decisions can be difficult to make, and it’s best to make them together. It’s good for you to support what your girlfriend wants. This won't be easy but it can be done. This is why prevention is better – double up if you are having sex!

If you decide to be a parent, remember that age does not make you a good parent – being loving and responsible does. Find out more in our article What to expect from pregnancy.

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 13 July 2020 08:46

Hello I have sharp pain im my stomach which gets worse when eating and lying down. This makes me burp alot(more than usual) and my chest sometimes gets sore and inflamed and my stomach rumbles as if I've got an stomach upset. What could it be? What medication can help?

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 July 2020 14:13

You may have a problem with your digestive system. I suggest you go to the clinic to get checked

B-Wise User Anonymous 30 June 2020 11:54

My last period was on the 27 of May and on 8 may I had sex the following day I took morning after pill then two weeks later I was spotting but no period what are chances of pregnancy?

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 June 2020 13:35

The chances of pregnancy are low

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 June 2020 20:02

I took morning after pills so how long must I wait until I get spotting

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 June 2020 16:41

Some people don't spot after taking the morning after pill. Your period might come a bit late or early though

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 June 2020 15:43

I had sex on the 18th of June on the 21st of June I took morning after pill so is there a chance of me getting pregnant . And so far I last had my periods on the 2nd of June

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 June 2020 16:58

The morning after pill works better the sooner you use it. Your chances of pregnancy are low

B-Wise User Bokabegang 25 June 2020 15:20

Hi can I suffer from getting my periods after having morning after pills

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 June 2020 16:57

Yes you can get your period after taking the morning after pill. It's usually spotting instead of a full period

B-Wise User kamogelompho565@gmail.com 23 June 2020 22:50

Why do we find it hard to tell our parents that "I am pregnant?"

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 June 2020 15:06

Please read this article: https://bwisehealth.com/article/falling-pregnant-when-youre-young-is-a-big-deal

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 June 2020 08:29

Do men have pregnancy symptoms Because the women is pregnant

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 June 2020 15:46

Some men do experience some of the symptoms when their partners are pregnant

B-Wise User Zuke 12 May 2020 17:31

Hi doc last 2 months I haven't been on my period I assumed that I was pregnant I continued haveing sex with my boyfriend and today I'm on my period and it pianfull these things like spots and and this month I took some pill that drained dirt from inside because I had discharge I'm still pregnant or plz help me

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2020 11:47

You need to go to the clinic or doctor as soon as you can. The pill that you took to drain dirt from inside is not safe. You need to get checked soon. Where did you get this pill?

Remember, discharge is normal and the vagina cleans itself. You don't need to be taking any pills to clean it.

B-Wise User Halalisani 13 December 2019 18:11

Ntshela abazali bakho untshele ne ntombi yakho iye eclinic

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 January 2020 10:49

B-Wise User Kutlwano 2001 28 February 2019 13:36

This was helpful Thanks

B-Wise User kediemetsejessica584 21 August 2018 20:16

My girlfriend is pregnant

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 August 2018 05:27

Hi Anonymous, thank you for your question. It is important to first confirm that your girlfriend is pregnant before doing anything further. Pregnancy can be confirmed with a urine pregnancy test, which can be done at your nearest clinic, or your girlfriend can perform this test at home by buying a pregnancy test from a pharmacy. Once the pregnancy is confirmed, please visit your nearest clinic to get information on what to do. It’s best you support your girlfriend through this time. Use our Clinic Finder to help you find a clinic near you.