My partner just told me they have an STI. What now?

Finding out your bae has an STI can leave you feeling uneasy, maybe even angry. You might have lots of questions you need answered…

Has my bae been unfaithful?

Am I at risk of having an STI?

Is it curable?

Your partner could have an STI because they cheated, but they could also have had the STI before they got into a relationship with you. They may or may not have known about it. You could also be the one that gave your partner an STI and you didn’t know you had it, because you didn’t have any symptoms.

If you have been using a condom the whole time you have been together, you are probably pretty safe. But if at some point you did have unprotected sex, or if a condom broke, you may be at risk of also getting an STI.

The first thing you now need to do is to visit your nearest clinic to get tested for STIs. Just because you have not seen any signs of STIs does not mean you don’t have any. Some STI symptoms are not obvious to see, and if the STI is not treated, it could affect your health, or even put your life at risk.

So it’s important for you to visit the clinic and get checked. You can get treatment if you need it, and this will help you to prevent it from passing to anyone else.

To help protect yourself from STIs, use condoms EVERY time you have sex. Male and female condoms are available free of charge from clinics.

Some STIs are curable, but some are not. For more information on sexually transmitted diseases and how to protect yourself, check out the STIs section on B-Wise.

Likes

B-Wise User Samkeliso 18 July 2018 12:38

Hi. What is the colour of the normal discharge ?

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 July 2018 10:08

Hi there, thank you for your question. You can read this article for more information on discharge I have a discharge - do I have an STI?

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 August 2017 10:45

I need need help regarding my circle menstrate,since I gave birth on January till today my circle does'nt stop it runs continuously non stop I've tried some tablets to stop but it sop only 2 days then continue what must I do "worried" concerned. Thanks

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 April 2018 14:01

Hi there, thank you for your question. It would be best for you to visit a nurse or a doctor at your local clinic, they will check you up and see why you have been bleeding continuously. They will also give you the correct treatment that you will need.

B-Wise User Michaeldotgood 20 April 2017 14:14

How do I know what kind of STI I have?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2017 16:46

Hi, you cannot always tell what kind of STI you have just by looking at it. Here are symptoms that are found in most STI’s:  bad smelling discharge coming out of the penis or vagina, discharge that is yellow/ green in colour, sores, pimples and warts in the genital area. Please visit your nearest clinic with your sexual partner if you are worried that you have an STI.