Social grants for people with disabilities

The Constitution of South Africa protects people with disabilities and the government takes care of them. The Social Assistance Act allows people with disabilities to get support from the government by giving them grants. Grants are for both children and adults. Children with disabilities can apply for something called a care dependency grant. This money is given to the person that takes care of you. To apply for any grants you have to be:

1. A permanent resident/refugee in South Africa

2. Not living in an orphanage which provides all your needs

3. Have a South African ID or refugee status

4. Have a medical certificate proving your disability

Visit your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office, where they will then check if you qualify and answer any questions you may have. If you can't go there yourself you are allowed to ask someone else to go for you, or you can ask for a home visit. For more information visit SASSA.

Add a Comment/Question
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.