Social grants in South Africa

A social grant is money that is given in order to improve the standard of living of South Africans, who need help and support. People can apply for grants at any South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) offices. You do not need to pay anything when you apply.

Here are some types of social grants that South Africans can get if they qualify:

  • Child Support Grant: This grant is for the caregiver of a child of 18 years or younger.
  • Grant-in-Aid: This grant is given to someone who is unable to take care of themselves because of a disability, and will need to pay a full-time caregiver.
  • Care Dependency Grant: This is given to the caregivers of children with disabilities.
  • Foster Child Grant: This grant is given to a foster parent who is chosen by the court.
  • Social Relief of Distress: This is mostly given to people who are still waiting for grants to be paid-out, or who have been affected by a disaster, such as their house burning down or being flooded.

It's important to know that grants can be suspended if someone lies about who they are, or if they don't cooperate when their grant is reviewed. This is because some people might try to claim grants when they don't really need them and that takes money away from people who do need it.

For more information contact SASSA toll-free on 0800 601 011, or visit their website at

Add a Comment/Question
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.