Speak Out! The Minister of Health wants to hear from YOU

Speak out!

Minister of Health, Dr. Aaron Matsoaledi, will give his annual budget speech to Parliament soon. This speech informs Parliament about major health issues and programmes and why they need funding.

The Minister wants to hear from YOU — what health topic is MOST important to you? What suggestions do you have for the minister on how to solve this problem? (Please comment below)

Here are some example topics:

• HIV
  • Tuberculosis
  • Hunger/nutrition/obesity
  • Pregnancy and contraception (preventing pregnancy)
  • Availability of health services in public clinics
  • Sexually transmitted infections
  • Substance abuse
  • Access to information about health
  • Other

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 19 September 2018 16:38

I'm pregnant and HIV and I now stay in a different place I was supposed to get my treatment due to I had emergency at home I couldn't come when I went to the clinic they refused to help me insisted I go back to my home clinic I continued my treatment I no longer stay home and its far I provided them with my current address they say I'm lying I'm worried please help

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 September 2018 17:08

Hi Zandy. You are probably going through a lot right now but it will get better once you get the medical attention you need. In your case we suggest you rate the service of that clinic using our Clinic Finder feature. You can also leave a comment, this will enable us to relay the message to the National Department of Health.

B-Wise User Childish T 18 July 2018 14:00

I think that all clinics in my neighborhood Mamelodi, should have Youth Friendly services like the one in Laudium clinics where they have a 'mini youth clinic' inside the clinic where the youth go up to 18 Years. The youth don't even have to wait on the que or have people stare at them and judge them.

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 July 2018 10:04

Hi there, thank you so much for your feedback. Remember, you can find and rate your local clinic here http://ow.ly/boav30l0O5C

B-Wise User Samkeliso 18 July 2018 12:22

Criticisms when a girl of 12 or 13 is at clinic for family planning they would a poor girl saying "umncani kangaka uyakwazi ukwehlisa ipanty your friends are at school and wena you here for family planning awukho serious ngempilo" that's what they are saying to young girls. Bad staff attitudes must fall

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 July 2018 10:03

Seku Hi there, thank you for your feedback. You can report and rate clinic services on http://ow.ly/boav30l0O5C . You can also share good experiences you have at clinics.

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 June 2018 00:43

I think the is a need of youth friendly services in all the clinics and I think a lot of migrate people are left out when it comes to clinics bcoz some clinics makes them to pays some clinics refuse to help them even if they have documents. I remember years back alot of South African people visited Nigeria were a building fall down alot of people were rush to hospital to get help my point is that why can't we as South Africa do the same for them .I mean everyone has a right to live so pls can u pls do something about this

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 June 2018 15:22

Hi Anonymous. Thank you for your comment and for bringing this to our attention. We will pass on your feedback.

B-Wise User SPatel 7 March 2018 00:45

Good Day Minister I am a professional Nurse at a clinic. And would like to suggest a solution to the problems you are having to get private stakeholders on board with NHI. I think you should stop all government staff from using private hospitals especially WCA injuries that put millions into the pockets of the hospitals who dont service the communities the most. If you implement this it will do two things; firstly it will force state employed staff and their families to experience what clients go through daily and definitely improve service delivery. Because by accessing private hospitals we say to our patients that our facilities are not good enough for us. How can we expect them to respect what we doing? Secondly the money we pay to private will go directly back to government and give health care the cash injection it needs to employ staff, research, medication ect. I sincere hope you get read my comment Minister. In your Service Saulegga

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 12:22

Hi there, thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

B-Wise User Anonymous 22 November 2017 18:49

Dear Minister since January i dont want to go to any puplic hospital,because nurses they dont have care,i was very sick (piles)they only gave me Bruffen,what must i do with Bruffen because my Annus was blocked, i dont even walk im talking about Letitia Bam Hospital

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:42

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you had such a bad experience. It would be best for you to visit a local clinic to get checked by a nurse or a doctor, and tell them about your past experience. If you need help finding a clinic near you, you can use our Clinic Finder

B-Wise User DiraMintiro 9 July 2016 12:01

Nutrition: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvr5pgi8juyo9vy/free%20fee%20schooling.docx?dl=0

B-Wise User Code-E 14 May 2016 16:24

Dear Honourable Minister Dr. A. Motsoaledi I hope you are well. My mom was talking to me and my elder brother about the name we would prefer to be used for the "Happy Hour" concept used in clinics for people of my age and we suggested "Through the Q with my Woews".We feel Happy hour is related to alcohol and it would have bad influence. The reason for "Through the Q with my Woews" is that : During February of 2015, the artist Drake released the album "If you're reading this it's too late". In this album, there is a song called "Know Yourself", within this song a very popular phrase came out "Running through the 6, with my woes". Which refers to being active within ones own city, with their friends. 6, is Drake's city. Woes, meaning friends. Once this song was released, it was basically impossible to go through any space without hearing a young person singing "Running through the 6 with my woes". This space being physical space, through the radio, on all social media platforms. As a campaign for the adolescents and youth. "Through the Q with my woes", already makes the phrase very popular. The running is removed seeing as it is already mentally implanted when ever "with my woes" is mentioned. The queue is stylized as a q seeing as it'll be easier to read and understand across all youth ages and cultures compared to the full English word "queue". The visualization of the q can be created to look like a 6 rotated 180 degrees, thus bring back the popular line. The line as a whole already implies the idea of doing something quickly because of the "running through", and "with my woes" encourages the youth to bring their friends. I inspired my elder brother and mom with the idea. My elder brother refined it. He is a graphic designer, I suggest you contact him for the design of this. Regards Code-E

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:35

Hey there, thank you for your feedback and your suggestions

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 April 2016 18:26

The problem is how clinics operates this days, and most of people don't want to go to the clinic cause you will find that you wake up at 4h00 in the morning and sit the whole day at the clinic when you ask why all the nurses are all nurses go to lunch they always say the government doesn't want to hire. And nurses are not too many the shortest of staff, and when the come back after the two to three hours they spend in lunch then they will not check u proper cause they are in a hurry to knock off.

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 April 2016 17:28

Shouldn't it be hustle free to go see a mammogram at any local clinic for all women in South Africa?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:45

Mammograms are special x-ray pictures of the breast which can be used to help check for breast cancer. They are done using a special x-ray machine, so can only be done in facilities that have this equipment and someone who is trained to understand the results.

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 May 2016 13:54

B-Wise User nomthetho 21 April 2016 18:43

Should one hide their HIV status to their partners?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:50

You don't have to hide your HIV status. If you feel safe, it is always a good idea to disclose to your sexual partner so they can get tested. You can also discuss how to have a healthy sexual relationship with your partner. Remember,sharing your HIV status with those you trust can also help with the stresses of having HIV, and can actually improve your overall health.

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 May 2016 15:24

You dont have to hide your HIV status. If you\r\nfeel safe, it is always a good idea to disclose to your sexual partner so they\r\ncan get tested. You can also discuss how to have a healthy sexual relationship\r\nwith your partner. Remember,\r\nsharing your HIV status with those you trust can also help with the stresses of\r\nhaving HIV, and can actually improve your overall health.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 April 2016 14:18

Is it safe to engage in sex activity while my partner is menstruating

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:51

Sex with a condom is the only kind of safe sex. Even during your menstruation, you are at risk of getting STIs, other infections like HIV and pregnancy. In fact, the risk of getting an STI is greater during menstruation. So be safe and wear a condom if you have sex!

B-Wise Expert Expert 6 May 2016 15:23

B-Wise User oestegarvoner 11 April 2016 23:53

I have been observing and notice that our culture of doing celebration does have an influence in the use of alcohol amonst teenagers. most teenagers start drinking during celebrations as we normally buy much liquor for such events so they adopt the style.

B-Wise User Kodisang 6 April 2016 18:07

Learners in my community especially school drop-out find themselves being caught under the influence of drugs Mainly from the township including coloureds and also blacks

B-Wise User patnatia25 4 April 2016 12:52

government must put more funding to lovelife cause so far lovelife is truly helping the youth in leadership skills and ambassador's help youth to visit local clinics for clinical services

B-Wise User zwide1 2 April 2016 23:14

I wish our government can help us to have "LOVELIFE CENTRE"in our RURAL places because at love life there is ambassadors that can help other youth to build them as young leadership like those youth that have lovelife in their communities.I hope the rates of substance abuse and teenage pregnancy can be decrease.

B-Wise User zwide1 2 April 2016 23:06

I had tooth pains and I went at the clinic they gave me ibruffen,metronidazole and amoxil than I used its than I had an unsafe sex with my husband how is the opportunities to get drop/STI

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 14:55

I think perhaps the question you are asking here is: Is the medication I received from the dentist going to cover an STI if I got it. The short answer is no. If you had unsafe sex and you are concerned about infections or pregnancy, please advise your husband to accompany you to the clinic so you can both get tested and treated for a possibly STI.

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 April 2016 15:01

B-Wise User Funi 31 March 2016 16:42

Sexual Transmitted infections.I believe that the minister must continue to distribute Flavor Condoms .Door to door Campaigns Health Talks Community Mobilisations. IN ORDER TO REACH THE TARGET OF 9090 the department must come up with innovative solutions to convince men that Contraceptives are not creating pools in women's Vagina so they must love their women even when they use contraceptives.Flavour Condoms Please Colleges and Varsities needs Flavor Condoms.

B-Wise User Anthinet 31 March 2016 14:08

We need to exercise in order to stay healthy and to be strong for infections not to enter in our body

B-Wise User MandyLombo 29 March 2016 15:06

As a young person,you have an obligation to yourself to be informed on issues of sexual and reproductive health. #ignoranceisnoexcuse. Be clued up and wise up.

B-Wise User sbahle 29 March 2016 14:57

to address this problem of hiv diseases minister should promote the campaign like lovelife,promoting young leaders like ground breaker to talk with young ones n promote how to use condoms

B-Wise User Anonymous 25 March 2016 19:06

Substance abuse..... Somehow the media do have an impact kwisubstance abuse if ingane izobuka itho enesubstance abuse nsuku zonke won't that child be willing to try it too?

B-Wise User LesibaChale 24 March 2016 17:52

Diseases like TB and many more need to be intergrated into our daily TV soapies. Let it be a legislation From parliament forcing this these many TV programmes to comply, and be given points on this issues. We need also to have TB signs as a form of awareness in all government building including schools, perhaps also in shopping malls

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 March 2016 21:35

I what Minister to talk about unsafe water in our communities, this issue of water that we drink in our villages is not taken into consideration, is not good for our health especially children health

B-Wise User Pilusa_kp 20 March 2016 15:14

STI its a serious matter therefore ,we as Young people should address it around our Community. Its a Plea that we should be Condom_wise. Many have only considered the fact of preventing a Pregnancy and that has led to Youth to be Victimised by STI.

B-Wise User Princess 19 March 2016 17:35

Teenage Pregnancy and substance abuse are very critical health issues that need to be addressed by not only the government but the broader society.. Education about these topics and recreational activities which will substitute actions which lead to these health issues could be a solution in reducing the statistics in this regard..

B-Wise User Anonymous 19 March 2016 11:20

NGO is at the door step of communities therefore more funding for them to educate communities

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 March 2016 16:37

If we have a nurses in every weak at schools to make a tests

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 March 2016 16:35

Why must men's get curcumsd surgically

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 15:29

Hi Anonymous, great question! Circumcision is recommended for babies and children under the age of five, but it is also important for young men and men to consider getting circumcised. Medical male circumcision (MMC) helps reduce your chances of getting HIV (by 60%). It also helps reduce your chances of getting sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) like herpes and syphilis. It can also help you keep your penis clean and can help reduce your risk of getting prostate and penile cancer.

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 March 2016 13:59

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 March 2016 14:35

help in terms of addressing young boys to get cercumcised

B-Wise User Duduzeeley 18 March 2016 14:34

The health topic that is the most important to me is HIV.The solution to this problem is for young people to get tested and know their status so that if there are those who are found positive can get treatment.

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 15:37

Hi Anonymous, If a girl has not had a menstruation after she is 16 years old, we would suggest that they see their clinic nurse or doctor, just to check that everything is okay. There are many things that can delay menstruation, such as other chronic diseases, hormonal problems or problems with the womb and these need to be checked by the nurse or doctor.

B-Wise User Tolouad 18 March 2016 14:34

We have to address an issue about the HIV in addition concentrate on the hunger that people are faceing

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 March 2016 14:34

We need young people who are educated to go around the community to spread the word of health

B-Wise User lebo 18 March 2016 14:34

Talk to youth about teenage pregnancy and and risk of dating old guys

B-Wise User emaculate 18 March 2016 14:27

Educate young people about contraception and how to get them.complications of each and how to take care of ones self. Contunios usage of contraception and delaying the debut of sexual intercourse

B-Wise User EddieKobz 18 March 2016 13:45

In most rural areas there is only one clinic and the hospital is far away from our people , and the medication get finished and people have to walk long distances to get to the clinics only to find out that the medication is finished and will be availably the following week !! So something must be done ,the medication must not be limited!!

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 March 2016 23:19

I would advice that the must police going to schools checking each and every room because those people go to school with those drugs and after wards they end up doing things that they gonna regret at the end of the day.

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 March 2016 22:17

Children and women abuse

B-Wise User sollyM 16 March 2016 00:30

To young south Africans. can we talk about the reasons why we don't want to breastfeed our children?

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 March 2016 23:03

If my bf is usng nyaope so I'd like to know will I gt infected thgh sexual enter course

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 15:48

Hi Anonymous - If you are having unprotected sex, you may be putting yourself at risk of getting HIV, or another STI. It is important to use a condom every time to protect yourself. If you want more information about substance abuse, have a look at the Mind Blowing, Toxic Energy articles on this site. https://b-wise.mobi/english/mind-blowing/toxic-energy/

B-Wise Expert Expert 16 March 2016 13:23

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 March 2016 23:44

the availability of health services in public clinics is bad because I once went to a clinic and I had to wait for 2 hours as the nurse was on a tea break so not only was I in pain but I had to sit in line for a long time to get help so nurses have to be trained on how to handle patients.

B-Wise User Noxy 10 March 2016 11:51

I believe that knowledge is power and the key to curbing the different health issues that affect the South African youth. We have this fantastic platform that provides crucial information that will alter so many lives however not everyone is familiar with B-Wise. Until recently, I have not seen or heard of B-Wise. There is a need to acquaint the youth with this platform especially those living in rural areas.