There is so much pressure at this age!

Many adults think that adolescents don’t have stress but that is not true! Nowadays adolescents are even more stressed than adults. There is so much going on.

You could be stressing about any of these things:

• Am I going to do well at school?

• Am I going to fail?

• What will my friends think?

• How I look (your size or body shape)?

• What do I wear (types of clothing, jewellery, or hairstyles)

• Will I cope with puberty?

• What about sex?

• Do they love me?

• Boyfriends

• Girlfriends

• Teenage pregnancy

• My future job or career

• My family is always fighting

• I had an argument with my friends

• Bullies

• Violence

• Social media

• Drugs and alcohol

• What do others expect of me?

Stress is your body’s natural reaction to a challenge, which could be anything from obvious physical danger to asking someone on a date or writing a test.

Stress is not always bad

Good and bad things create stress. Getting into a fight with a friend is stressful, but so is a passionate kiss or falling in love! Positive stress helps you to react quickly, perform well and to “rise to a challenge”. However bad or ongoing stressful situations can wear you out, weaken your immune system, and make you feel depleted. It can also lead to mental health problems. Stress is the uncomfortable feeling of being overwhelmed.

Spot the signs that you are stressed!

• Having more headaches, tummy aches, body pains or tiredness
  • Shutting down and no longer wanting to be around people or do activities
  • Being anger or irritable all the time
  • Crying more often
  • Feeling you can't do anything right
  • Being worried, anxious and nervous all the time
  • Not being able to sleep at night
  • Being too busy to eat or not feeling hungry
  • Not being able to focus

If you are stressed, it is important that you speak to someone like your parents / caregiver / a trusted adult / healthcare worker or friend to help you cope.

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 April 2020 00:11

Just believe in yourself and do pray.GOD bless you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 March 2020 11:50

Um really stressed about my school work, last year my school work was great especially home language but this year um struggling with mathematics.... So what do I do about this? Plz help

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:02

Hi There Mpho,

You can talk to your parents or guardians about attending extra classes, You can also get a tutor at our school to help you

B-Wise User Brandontmj 29 March 2020 13:40

I'm stressing about something not knowing what but how do I get the answer for my stressing

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 March 2020 10:22

Hi Brandon,

We would like to assist but you have not told us the problem You can talk to someone on any of these platforms

• Stop Gender Violence helpline 24hrs: 0800 150 150
  • Gender-based violence call centre: 0800 428 428 (or *120*7867#)
  • Child Welfare South Africa: 0861 452 4110 (to report abuse or neglect)
  • Police emergency: 10111
  • Police (report a crime): 0860 010 111
  • National ambulance emergency: 01777 (or 112 on a cellphone)

Help and support from Childline: Find your province

• Childline National Hotline: 08000 55555
  • Childline Eastern Cape: 041 484 1070
  • Childline Gauteng: 011 4841070
  • Childline KwaZulu Natal: 031 312 0904
  • Childline North West: 018 299 1940
  • Childline Western Cape: 021 461 1113
  • Free State: 051 401 2208

Help and support for family and relationships

If your family is affected by HIV, call the National Aids Helpline on 0800 012 322 or HIVSA on 011 494 1900

• Family and Marriage Association of South Africa (FAMSA): 0119757106/7
  • FAMSA Potchefstroom: 018 293 2272/2297
  • FAMSA Secunda 017 631 1593
  • FAMSA Soweto: 011 933 1301
  • FAMSA Tzaneen 015 307 4833

SA Social Security Agency (SASSA) Helpline: 0800 601 011

B-Wise User Samukelo e Sihle 26 March 2020 18:59

I am also losing weight and not to keen in my school work these fays "I work smart instead of hard in my school work " but the mere issue is that I don't know why is this happened to me cause even I can not identity my problem

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 March 2020 16:23

Hi There Samukelo,

Its good that you are doing well in your schoolwork, try eating well and a healthy balanced diet, also exercise

B-Wise User Temahlubi 20 March 2020 15:55

ð??¥I also have the same symptoms mentioned above, what do I do?

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 March 2020 13:39

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 March 2020 18:32

My daughter has all these signs...what can she do to lessen the stress? She has even lost weight and does not eat...she is showing no interest in her schoolwork...please help

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 March 2020 15:37

Hello There,

You can talk to councillors on any of the toll free numbers https://bwisehealth.com/article/help-support-mental-health-substance-abuse

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 October 2019 19:00

All these signs happen to me.

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 October 2019 12:05

Hey I need help I think am dating this old guy,he has a wife and children I love him and when am with him I feel good about my self.. Yet I think am doing the wrong thing coz my peers want to date me but I feel nothing for them.. Not ready to let go of this man.. And he has no time for me

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 October 2019 11:50

Hi there, thank you for your question. Dating an older man with a wife and children can be difficult as they will be the first priority and he will have to take care of them first. It would be a good idea to talk to your partner about what you feel and what you expect from the relationship.

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 September 2019 12:38

I am always stressed about my future job am a first year education part time student. I am always worried because I've been looking for part time jobs or something to do on the other side but nothing is happening. So am worried that even though I finish my studies I might not be employed.

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 September 2019 11:21

Hi there, thank you for your question. Its normal to be stressed about the future. You can check out the She conquers page as they post internships and bursaries daily.

B-Wise User Anonymous 5 July 2019 16:09

define the term teenage pregnancy?

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 July 2019 08:30

Hi there, learn more here https://bwisehealth.com/article/teen-pregnancyit-changes-everything

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 June 2019 11:01

i am struggling with Mathematis at school and in my last term results its the only subject with the lower levels and i am confused about my mathematics studies??

B-Wise Expert Expert 3 June 2019 08:40

Hi there, thank you for your question. If you are struggling with a subject you need to talk to a teacher or you can go for extra lessons.

B-Wise User Josty 17 March 2019 21:39

Good evening I have stress of I'm going to be a father soon and I can't afford to be a father because I'm not working so I end up having headache almost every day because of I am in need of a job.

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 March 2019 08:54

Hi, thank you for your question. It can be a very stressful situation especially if its causing you to have constant headaches. Its best that you visit your local clinic and talk to a doctor, you can also talk to a counselor at the local clinic who will be able to help you deal with the stress.

B-Wise User Dizzle wizzle 15 September 2018 13:25

What must i do to pass well at school

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 September 2018 08:24

Hi there, thank you for your question. You can check out our  Know Your Mind section to help you pass well at school.

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 May 2018 12:42

I don't care what people think of me and at school I am ficused

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 May 2018 10:01

Hi there, thank you for your comment. That's the spirit! It's important not to lose focus. Keep it up!

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 May 2018 12:41

My friends took me to some place and wanted to fight with me but instead I ran away coz I don't know how to fight

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 May 2018 17:55

Hi there. It sounds like you were in a very difficult situation, remember to always tell a trusted adult if your friends want to fight with you.

B-Wise User Itumelengbenmonyanejr 13 April 2018 22:15

I like to listening to music every time when I have a lot of stress

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:30

Hi, thank you for your response. Music is very helpful when you have stress.

B-Wise User Itumelengbenmonyanejr 13 April 2018 22:14

I like to listening to music every time when I have a lot of stress

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:31

Hi, thank you for your feedback. Music can be very helpful when you have a lot of stress

B-Wise User masonmasemola 13 April 2018 21:55

Feeling of havin sex everytime

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:33

Hi, thank you for your feedback. Wanting to have sex every time at this age is normal. Remember to use a condom every time you have sex to prevent HIV, STIs and unplanned pregnancies.

Stay Safe !!

B-Wise User letlotlo 5 July 2017 23:24

I used to think about my bae lije what he doing?who he is with?

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 11:53

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you learnt something new from reading the article

B-Wise User TUMIE 15 February 2017 18:36

I LIKE POSITIVE STRESS. IT HELPS ME NOT TO SLEEP, IT MAKES ME DO MORE. IT MAKES ME SEE MANY THINGS I NEED TO ACCOMPLISH AND THE WAY TIME IS ALWAYS AGAINST ME

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 April 2018 13:01

Hi Tumie, that'st true positive stress can help you to do more but remember it is important for your body to get enough rest as well.