Vagina talk

Before we talk about the big changes girls go through in puberty, let’s learn about vaginas.

You have reproductive or sex organs on the inside and the outside of your body, which will allow you to reproduce (have babies) one day.

Because it’s sometimes difficult or embarrassing to talk about sexual things, people may use different names to refer to sex organs.


This is the opening between a female’s legs. It’s surrounded by folds of skin that look kind of like sideways lips. These are called labia. The vagina is the passage that menstrual blood comes out of, and it is where a man puts his penis during sex. It is the passageway through which a baby is born.


The parts of the female sexual organs that are on the outside of the body. This includes the labia.


This is a ring of muscle at the end of the vagina, sort of like a ‘doorway’ into the uterus.


Also called the womb, the uterus is where a baby grows when a woman is pregnant.


These produce a female’s eggs. If an egg is fertilized (meets) by a sperm, a pregnancy can result. Ovaries also make the female hormones (chemical messengers) oestrogen and progesterone.

Fallopian Tubes:

Two tubes leading from the ovaries of females into the uterus. The ovum (egg) travels down the fallopian tube where it can be fertilized (meet the sperm).

What is the creamy coloured liquid you sometimes find staining your panties?

This is called a vaginal discharge. It’s the body’s way of keeping the vagina healthy and clean. 
The discharge carries out old pieces from the vaginal wall (lining). Sometimes the discharge gets thicker. But do not put anything into your vagina to stop this discharge! See a nurse or doctor if it smells bad.

Add a Comment/Question
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.


Anonymous 31 August 2017 19:29 it normal to have no sensations around nipples andlips during sex ( im a female, 22 years old, no child) because when my boyfriend is kisses me i dnt feel anything

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 September 2017 12:07

Hi Anonymous, that’s a good question! Sexual arousal differs from person to person. Different people find different types of sensual touching arousing. If you don’t get aroused by kissing on the lips and nipples, ask your boyfriend to kiss you in other places on your body. This way you will discover the right areas for you, and ensure that you get the most pleasure out of your time together.

Anonymous 31 August 2017 19:25

Hi.everytime i try to have sex i dnt feel anything..i dnt get aroused and if i do manage to get aroused it doesnt last long enough for me to enjoy sex...please help

Anonymous 3 June 2017 21:24

i feeling pain juring sex i got shap pain hot

chary 3 June 2017 21:24

i feeling pain juring sex i got shap pain hot

chary 3 June 2017 21:24

i feeling pain juring sex i got shap pain hot

Anonymous 3 June 2017 21:24

i feeling pain juring sex i got shap pain hot

Thank you for your question. We have sent it to an expert and will get back to you within 48 hours with a response.
chary 3 June 2017 20:50

i feeling pain juring sex i got shap pain hot

Anonymous 31 October 2016 10:18

My frendz are pulling the lips saying it is ideal for pleasurable intercourse for both parties.(guys n ladies) is it true??

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 October 2016 12:00

Hi Anonymous, This is a tough question. Sex and sexuality is different for different people. Some people find certain things pleasurable that others do not. It is important to talk to your partner about what you both find pleasurable and are comfortable with. It is also a good idea to make sure you use dual protection (condoms and a contraceptive method.) It is also more enjoyable when you aren't worrying about STIs or pregnancy.

Anonymous 25 May 2016 23:25

If unezinsumpha ngasese uzilaphangani pls sizani bo

B-Wise Expert Expert 2 June 2016 10:30

Hi Anonymous, thanks for your question. It can be hard when you arent sure what is happening with your body. Lumps, swelling or sores on your vagina are sometimes a sign of a sexually transmitted infection (STI). If you are sexually active, you and your partner should go to the clinic to be treated. STIs are spread by having unprotected sex, so it is important that you and your partner use a condom every time you have sex. If you are not sexually active, it is still a good idea to go to the clinic to see a doctor or nurse so they help you feel better.