What is a chronic disease?

It is important to start by understanding what the term “chronic” means. Chronic means that something stays there over a long period of time. It means that there is usually not much change, or if there is, there can be a very slow change over time.

So, a chronic disease is a disease that lasts for a long time, like months or years –often for someone’s whole life. The symptoms are sometimes less serious than for someone who gets an acute disease (which happens really suddenly).

The causes of chronic diseases are often things like an unhealthy diet, not getting enough exercise and smoking. The signs and symptoms of chronic diseases depend on the disease. Examples of chronic diseases are cancers, asthma, arthritis, HIV/AIDS, diabetes (sugar), hypertension (high blood pressure), etc.

The first important step to treat a chronic disease is to get the medical help you need. A doctor (GP) is usually the first person you see if you have a chronic illness, and, along with other primary health professionals like nurses they can help people to manage these chronic conditions. If you or someone you know has been sick for a long time, make sure you seek help – it’s worth it! For more about health issues, go to our Health Issues section

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 May 2020 15:55

I was having sharp pain from my left side and my arm was feeling tired and they give me medication nw the problem is some of the medicine their written if you are breast feeding ask the doctor ,I see the now at home so should I go back and ask doctor or I can take half from each tablets those that are written if you breast feeding ,or should I leave it

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 May 2020 18:55

I would advise you to go back and ask the doctor.

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 May 2020 10:27

I have sharp pain in my chest and my left arm gets tired and itching what's is that couse

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 May 2020 14:04

You need to go to the clinic or doctor to get checked.

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 April 2020 00:18

Hi Doctor I dont really know if having hemorrhoirds is a chronical disease but I've had to tolerate it for quite some time now.Whenever I try to pass faeces it's really difficult and painful and if it happens afterwards I'd get tired and have a really sharp pain on the inside of my anus plus the anus itself poops out and becomes sore.Please help because the creams that I bought did not help at all and I really need something to extract this unbearable thing inside me i don't just want to ease the pain ..Please help.

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 April 2020 13:40

You need to go to the clinic or doctor as soon as you can to get checked and get treatment that will help.

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 May 2019 11:01

Good morning I would like to know can a bladder surgery (TVT sling input)lead to chronic bladder infections? And secondly what treatment is available incase the answer is yes.

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 May 2019 09:35

Hi there. Bladder infections are known to be a complication after this type of procedure. My recommendation is for you to see your gynecologist who performed the procedure, to assess the chronic bladder infection and come up with a suitable management plan for you.