What is anorexia nervosa?

Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder where a person eats and drinks very little on purpose because they want to be thin or they are afraid of gaining weight. The person may see themselves as overweight even when they are not.

A person can start by trying to eat in a healthy way, but then they might start to think more and more about how much they’re eating. Later, they start to eat less and less food and count the calories of the food they eat, hoping that it will help them to reach their goal weight.

Some people may start doing this because they feel pressure to be a certain body size and shape. Eating disorders like anorexia can be dangerous for your health because they cause unhealthy weight loss and your body loses nutrients. This can cause sickness and even death.

You might be at risk of being anorexic if you:

·         pretend to eat when you are with those around you, but are not really eating

·         think you are fat even if those around you disagree

·         have suddenly lost a lot of weight, but are still scared of gaining weight

It is always a good idea to eat healthy food, exercise regularly and stay at a healthy weight, but worrying about your weight should not take over your life. If you are worried about your weight or think you might be eating too much or too little, talk to a nurse or doctor.

For more information on eating healthy, check out our article, “Eat well to stay well: Healthy food, healthy life.”

Likes

B-Wise User xxLønerStønerxx 12 May 2020 18:02

I have a friend who hasn't been eating for a couple days when I noticed this I asked him why but he keeps on avoiding me I was thinking of talking to his parents but don't wanna betray his trust

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2020 11:50

You need to talk to your friend and share this contact information with them if they want or need to talk to someone who is a counselor: Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

If they refuse, then you need to tell them that you have to tell their parents because what they are doing is not healthy or safe.

B-Wise User xxLønerStønerxx 11 May 2020 18:43

Hi I just wanted to know how long can a normal teenage boy stay without eating

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 May 2020 11:03

Why do you ask this question?

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 March 2020 08:37

There is also an eating disorder that goes hand in hand with Anorexia nervosa which is Bulimia nervosa. You get Bulimia nervosa when you binge eat then you self vomit or use laxatives

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 October 2019 19:31

May I have some tips of how to lose weight and how to stop eating too much I eat more than my body needs

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 October 2019 19:11

Hi there, thank you for your question! You can check out our healthy living section https://bwisehealth.com/category/healthy-living

B-Wise User Boitumelo Boity Beauty 8 May 2019 12:56

I am girl but I eat so much but I haven't gained any weight

B-Wise User Anonymous 30 January 2019 21:56

I just wish i had Anorexia. I eat so much. Every time when it's holiday like now i gain few kg. from October until now i have gained 5 kg.

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 February 2019 13:09

Hi there, thank you for your question. Anorexia can be dangerous and deadly you can read more about it here https://bwisehealth.com/article/what-is-anorexia-nervosa. Remember its okay to have gained weight and its important that you are happy with your body. If you want to lose the weight you can check out our healthy living section  https://bwisehealth.com/category/healthy-living