What is vaginal thrush or a yeast infection?

Vaginal thrush or a yeast infection is caused by a fungus called candida. Candida lives on the skin around the vagina normally. It is usually harmless but if it multiplies or grows too much then it may cause thrush. Thrush it is not a sexually transmitted infection, but sex can sometimes cause irritation inside the vagina, making it easy for candida to grow. Candida grows well in places that are warm, moist and airless. The symptoms of thrush are:

• an odourless white creamy discharge (this discharge can be thick or watery) with itching in the vagina
  • redness and discomfort outside and around the vagina
  • burning or soreness
  • pain during sex or when peeing

These symptoms may go away on their own but if they do not, there are treatments available. The treatment for thrush usually doesn't need a prescription, so you can get it from any pharmacy. If the thrush does not go away after treatment that you can buy over the counter at a pharmacy, talk to a doctor or nurse to make sure you do not have an STI. For more information on STIs visit: here

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 July 2020 11:04

Hi,I Have This Vaginal Pains When I Have The Urge To Pee.. This Happens Usually In The Morning..After Urinating The Pains Are No Longer There.

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 July 2020 15:30

Hi,

You need to go to a clinic or doctor to get checked. They will tell you what is happening after checking you and treat you

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 June 2020 15:58

What does it means to have white discharge and then changes to brown?

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 June 2020 16:47

It could mean that your period is coming or that you have an infection. It usually means your period is coming though

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 June 2020 22:09

Hi i come out a brown discharge that doesn't smell nice when I'm about to go to my periods and am on prevention also but i do go to my periods but not alot of blood comes out and I'm having that brown discharge since i got a baby on Dec 2019 and i dont like the smell of it

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 June 2020 15:07

Brown discharge before going on your period is normal and it does have a bit of a smell. If the smell becomes worse, you need to go to the clinic to get checked

B-Wise User Anonymous 16 June 2020 22:01

Hi I think I have thrust but I am not sure like every time when I go to the toilet when I look at my underwear it has this white thick thing and it comes out everyday

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 June 2020 11:41

Read this: https://bwisehealth.com/article/what-is-vaginal-thrush-or-a-yeast-infection

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 May 2020 22:15

Hi I think I might have an infection everytime I sit it pains in my abdomen

B-Wise Expert Expert 18 May 2020 13:13

Go to the doctor or clinic to get checked.

B-Wise User Anonymous 21 March 2020 19:26

Hi. I have been getting boils (i think that's what they are -sort of like a big pimple with off white liquid that comes out) on the front of my vagina (where the hairs are, not down there by the clit). This has been happening for the past 15 years or so. Started when i began pubity. The boils come mostly when i am on my period then after a week they heal. When my period begins the following month one will pop up again on a different place. Sometimes they won't appear for months. They are sore when they get touched by my underwear. They are definitely not sexually related as they began when i was still young. Could it be cysts? A hormonal imbalance? I don't think it's an infection coz it's been happening for years now. Please assist

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:47

Hi Sbahle,

This case is not easy to assess, it needs further medical assessment .

STIs can stay in one’s blood stream for a long time as long as that person is not treated or has continuous exposure to the disease or infection. But the location of the boils are rather indicating STIs or any other infection with the reproductive area that needs treatment.

I would suggest you consult your nearest clinic to holistically assess you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 30 October 2017 18:28

Hi...i have a yellowish snot-like discharge that comes and go.no itchiness, no pain when urinating.there is little bit of fishy odour.my question is what might be the cause and should i be worried?

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 October 2017 16:51

Hi Ano, thank you for your question. This sounds like an infection in the genital area, which people can get through having sex. It’s possible to get the infection without having sex, so if you haven’t ever had sex, a doctor can help you understand how you got the infection. It is very important that you visit a doctor or a clinic to get treatment so that the infection can go away. Your sex partner(s) also need to go to the clinic to get treated. It’s important to use a condom when you have sex so that you are protected from getting the infection again. You can use the Clinic Finder on B-Wise to help you find a local clinic.

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 January 2017 15:55

I seem to get thrush more now in summer, what is causing this? What can I do to stop it?

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 January 2017 15:16

Hi Anonymous, Thrush is more common in summer. It is caused by a yeast infection, which grows in warm, moist places. So when you get hot and sweaty, it creates the perfect place for yeast to grow. You can prevent thrush by wearing white cotton underwear as well loose clothing made of breathable fabric like cotton. Wearing tight clothing such as jeans and exercise tights, or staying in a wet swimming costume, can cause the yeast to grow. You should also avoid harsh soaps or gels with perfume. Try to use fragrance-free soaps instead. It’s also a good idea to shower rather than bath, because thrush can be caused by the vagina is sitting in water for a long period of time. You should also make sure that you dry off your vaginal area after bathing. If the problem persists, it is a good idea to visit your local clinic and speak to a nurse or doctor.