What should I do if someone is threatening me or hurting me?

Do you feel unsafe and need protection?

Well, as long as you're under 18, you're officially a child according to the government. That means that there are laws like the Children's Act that protect you. You have the right to be protected from harm, and to be looked after by your parents or guardians.

Sometimes, people in our lives hurt us, or make us feel scared. Whether it's a friend, schoolmate, boyfriend or girlfriend, or a family member, it’s never okay for someone else to hurt you physically or emotionally, or make you feel scared that they will hurt you. Sometimes it is really hard to tell someone about it. But if you don't do something or tell someone, it may never stop. It might even get worse.

Sometimes you can talk to the person hurting you and ask them to stop. Maybe they listen. But if they don't, it might be time to tell someone you trust.

If there is an adult in your life that you trust, tell them about the situation and see what they can do to help. If there is no one you feel comfortable with, talk to a social worker, counsellor or psychologist at a hospital, clinic, or school. They will be able to help you.

You can also call Childline at 08000 55 555.

For more information on feeling safe in your community visit: this article.

Add a Comment/Question
You need to be signed in to add a comment or like an article.