When your period signals a problem: Menstrual problems that may need medical attention

Menstruation is a normal part of a girl's life as she grows up. However, sometimes periods can become abnormal: you can have no bleeding, too much bleeding or extremely painful bleeding.

If you:

• haven't started your period by 15 years old or 3 years after your first signs of puberty
  • suddenly stopped menstruating for more than 6 months or 3 cycles after a normal period (but you know you are not pregnant)

You may have amenorrhea ( a-men-nor-rea).

If you:

• have a very heavy periods (soak at least 1 sanitary pad an hour)
  • have periods that last more than 7 days
  • sometimes stay home because you can't control the bleeding in public

You could have menorrhagia ( men-nor-raa-gia). It's very important to seek help if you have bled for more than 7 days or are experiencing dizziness or fainting.

If you:

• Have very painful cramps during your period that last for more than 3 days and it interferes with school, study, or sleep.

You could have dysmenorrhea ( dis-men-nor-rea) and endometriosis ( en-do-mee-trio-sis).

Whatever your experience is, remember that menstruation is a normal part of a girl's life. However, if you start experiencing abnormal periods it's important to speak to your nurse or doctor at your local clinic.

Likes

B-Wise User Precious11 8 July 2020 22:55

Is it normal to have ur periods for a second time 5days after u had them, bt it's like spotting. For the past few months my periods were normal bt now I'm experiencing this. What could be wrong

B-Wise User Lesego1603 8 July 2020 22:27

Hey doc, in 2017 I had a miscarriage due to hormones imbalance and ever since my periods are irregular , sometimes I miss them for about 2 months then I start to experience pregnancy symptoms and when I take a test it comes out negative ,then the following month my periods will be heavy with clots ...and I haven't used any contraceptives since I was born and am not falling pregnant what might be the problem ??

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 July 2020 09:45

Hi I'm on arvs and suddenly my period is heavy with small clots , is it normal

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 July 2020 15:06

ARVs may have many side effects on your body, the next time you visit the clinic, talk to your health care provider.

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 July 2020 22:30

Hi I normally have irregular periods whereas I skip 2/3 months.I'm sexually active and worried if there could be a possibility that I may fall pregnant or what!?

B-Wise Expert Expert 3 July 2020 12:39

This means that you need to make sure you use a condom every time you have sex.

I also recommend you go the clinic to ask for contraceptives

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 June 2020 09:31

Hi doc what is amenorrhea, dysmenorrhoea,andometriosis, menorrhagia?

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 June 2020 15:57

amenorrhea is when you miss your period for more than 2 months and you are not pregnant

dysmenorrhoea is very painful menstruation

Endometriosis is also very painful period

menorrhagia is heavy periods

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 June 2020 19:35

Hi doc...why when I hv to go to my periods the boom I have a boil is it a signal?

B-Wise Expert Expert 28 June 2020 16:13

Something could be happening with your hormones. You need to go to a doctor because you are not supposed to get boils like that

B-Wise User Simoh 26 June 2020 15:06

Hi I'm using impant (contraceptive)ever I started using it I've lost weight.what can I do besides taking it off?

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 June 2020 16:57

You need to go to the clinic or doctor so they can check how your body is reacting to the implant

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 June 2020 23:46

What is wrong with a girl when she skips a month or 2 without going to her periods then after 2monthd get her periods?

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 June 2020 15:16

This is normal if the girl recently started her period. If she's been on her period for a few years and this is happening then I recommend she go to the clinic to get checked.

B-Wise User Meso 23 June 2020 23:16

Hi. I'm a teenager on an implant(contraceptive), it's been two years now. Ever since my.menstruation cycle is abnormal, I can go 2-3 months without being on my periods. Sometimes just small amount of blood comes

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 June 2020 15:12

This is actually quite normal on an implant. Contraceptives can change the way you get your period and your cycle.

B-Wise User Anonymous 22 June 2020 11:00

Hi doc its normal to find out in eight months that u preg n not have any sign showing u preg n u dont recall wen last did u see the periods

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 June 2020 15:12

It is not normal but it is possible. But the chances are very low

B-Wise User Nicky_ppoppz 20 June 2020 14:02

Why do i feel sharp pains the t are like sharp strikes during and after my period not period pains

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 June 2020 14:44

There could be many reasons for this which is why you need to go to a doctor or clinic to get examined.

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 June 2020 22:57

Hi doc ...I used to go to my periods for 3 days but now I go for 5/6 days why?

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 June 2020 10:31

Many girls and women experience changes in their cycle and that is normal. 5/6 days is still considered normal

B-Wise User Shoshi 15 June 2020 21:52

Doc so musterbation has nothing to do with me not going to my period for 2 months

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 June 2020 11:18

Masturbation does not affect your period

B-Wise User Dludlathando 15 June 2020 20:10

Hi, can I ask something if you skip three months of your period is something wrong with you and if you have sex with a boy during your periods will you have s child

B-Wise Expert Expert 17 June 2020 11:16

Hello there,

Skipping three months of your period is not good. You need to go to a clinic or doctor to get checked.

It is possible to fall pregnant if you have sex during your period

B-Wise User Shoshi 14 June 2020 21:47

I am scared to go to a doctor cause the doctor will find out if I am masturbating.cause I have not been going to my period for two months.what to do help me doc

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 June 2020 12:21

Hello there,

There is no way for the doctor to tell if you are masturbating or not. So don't worry about that. It is not possible.

Don't be scared, go to the clinic.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 June 2020 17:34

On the 31 may I got my periods for the first time I had my periods for three days then it stopped then the Wednesday at night I bleeded a tiny bit so does this mean I bleed thrice a month??

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 June 2020 17:46

Hello there,

What you are describing is completely normal. Since you are starting your periods, you'll notice that your periods are not always the same (not regular). Some months they will be longer and there'll be more blood and other months, not so much.

The tiny bleeding is called spotting so it's not your period. Just a bit of blood.

B-Wise User Anonymous 10 June 2020 23:27

I once use implant in 2015 around august and I took it out 2016 around April because I was losing weight. Now I've been try to have a baby since 2019 but nothing do I have a problem?? Sometime I miss one or two months not going to my period and sometimes I go regular is that normal??

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 June 2020 10:04

Hi,

You need to go to a clinic or doctor to get checked. They will tell you what is happening after checking you

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 June 2020 09:52

Hello doctor I was using injection contraceptive then changed to contraceptive pills and I stopped taking them after not having my periods what does it mean? When does the pills come off my system? and it's been 3 months not getting my periods. Am worried

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 June 2020 12:04

Hi There,

Everyone's body is different, your period can take up to 6 months. You can also go to the clinic for more tests and to make sure you are not pregnant

B-Wise User Anonymous 5 June 2020 22:40

Hy doc wt is de cause of having irregular period

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 June 2020 15:47

There are many different reasons why your period could be irregular.

Read this: https://bwisehealth.com/article/when-your-period-signals-a-problem-menstrual-problems-that-may-need-medical-attention

B-Wise User Yoza 4 June 2020 21:54

If you were on contraceptives and then stop using the contraceptives for a month how long does it take for the contraceptives to come out of the system or blood

B-Wise Expert Expert 5 June 2020 10:23

It all depends on the type of contraceptive you were using and how long you were using it. It can take a few months before your menstrual cycle returns to normal.

For sex, you are no longer protected by the contraceptive

B-Wise User Anonymous 28 May 2020 21:40

Hey if you are contraception and you changed from 2 months injection to pills then changed again to the 2 months injection and have periods for 14 days is it normal ???

B-Wise Expert Expert 29 May 2020 09:36

Yes it can happen. Your body is trying to adjust to the changes you are making in your contraception. You should try stay on one contraceptive for a while so your body get used to it.

B-Wise User Troops 25 May 2020 22:38

Hello If ur menstruating and u 11yrs and u have developed e.g breast;hips;bumbs;hair under arm and u have heavy period pains is that normal

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 May 2020 09:40

Yes it is normal. Some people develop earlier than others.

B-Wise User Troops 24 May 2020 23:05

Hello If you experience something under your breast and you have pains and on your vagina you inches pain is that normal for a girl like me whose 12year old

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 May 2020 16:50

You need to go to the clinic or doctor to get checked because this should not be happening.

B-Wise User Troops 24 May 2020 23:00

Troops Hello If you have periods on 15 years is a problem with that or something

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 May 2020 16:50

Hello there,

There is no problem with that.

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 May 2020 21:26

Troops Hello Am staying with my Siblings and am scared because if am into periods i think i will need a privacy because we only stay in 2 rooms so there's no time of privacy. Can anyone else advance me about this

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 May 2020 12:42

Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Troops 23 May 2020 08:10

Troops 23 May 2020 Hello What do I do if I don't get into periods am scared because am only 12 year and 6 months

B-Wise Expert Expert 24 May 2020 12:18

You are still young. Your period will come so don't worry

B-Wise User Anawe 22 May 2020 13:42

What do I do when I don't get into periods

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 May 2020 14:12

B-Wise User Petersen 18 May 2020 22:57

Hi I haven't had my period since last month. So at night times I get these pains under my breast. Doc do you know what this could be. It it not the regular pains that one get when on her period. It is pains that makes my hole body lame. Do you know what it could be? I'm 12 years old

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 May 2020 15:49

You need to go to the clinic or doctor to get checked. That's the only way they'll be able to figure out what is happening.

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 May 2020 21:53

Can period pains be treated?

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 May 2020 15:49

Period pains can be made better by taking pain killers, using a hot water bottle, doing exercise.

B-Wise User Anonymous 15 May 2020 17:05

Hi doc so my periods are verry irregular and most of the time i skip a month before going to my next period .....the period pains are terrible and i often get sharp stabbing like pains when im done with my periods

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 May 2020 17:42

Please go to the clinic or doctor to checked.

B-Wise User Zuke 12 May 2020 15:34

Hi doc I have period pain what to do

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 May 2020 17:00

You can go to the clinic, doctor or pharmacy and get pain medication.

Exercise also helps and using a hot water bottle.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 May 2020 14:39

Hi Why is my period so irregular sometimes it comes after 28days sometimes 31days sometimes 32days in November 3 i had my period till November 7 and same month i had my period again on the 30 till the 4 of December and same December i had my period again on the 26 till the 30 and the all January i didn't have my period why is it like this ?? Am i fruitless??I'm 16

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 May 2020 17:01

What you are describing is normal especially because you are still a teenager. When you are a teenager, your body takes a while to regulate itself. It doesn't mean you won't be able to have children in future.

B-Wise User Zuke 8 May 2020 20:00

I haven't been on my period for two months

B-Wise Expert Expert 10 May 2020 13:45

If you are taking contraception then it could be a side effect. If you are not taking contraception then you need to go to the clinic or doctor to be checked for pregnancy or if something else is wrong

B-Wise User Anonymous 8 May 2020 10:34

What is it when you bleed more then 7 days?but not alot it drip

B-Wise Expert Expert 8 May 2020 14:04

Your period sounds irregular. Please go to the clinic or doctor to get checked.

B-Wise User Anonymous 14 April 2020 20:07

Hi I normally have cramps in my Womb and last year i started to use a injection 4 time using it, even when I have sex I will feel pain in my Womb this year January I went to the clinic they gave me pills and now bleeding I dnt know what to call it but it dark brown with little of blood, doesn't smell, no rush, and it's 2 months and few weeks bleeding

B-Wise Expert Expert 22 April 2020 12:09

Hi There,

You need to see a gynecologist who can further screen you and do more tests for better results

B-Wise User Junique 8 April 2020 11:50

Hi I last get my period when my baby turned 3months old an I'm not using anything bt always in pain

B-Wise Expert Expert 9 April 2020 16:48

You need to go to the clinic for further screening

B-Wise User Anonymous 31 March 2020 22:57

Hi my period cycle changes every month..am starting to worry am I having a problem

B-Wise Expert Expert 7 April 2020 13:09

Hi There,

You period cycle can be changed by different things like stress. Read more https://bwisehealth.com/article/menstruation-facts-what-is-your-period

If you are really concerned, visit your nearest clinic for more screening

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 March 2020 22:28

Hi if you have unprotected sex and then after 5 days you have a full 5 day period ,is it possible that you can be pregnant ??

B-Wise Expert Expert 27 March 2020 15:53

Hello Tumi,

It is likely, please do a pregnancy test after 4 weeks to confirm if you are pregnant or not

B-Wise User Anonymous 26 March 2020 08:59

Hi so a friend of mine had sex without a condom and the guy said he didn't cum in her, but yet she started to panic and 4days after this happened she took a pregnancy test which came out negative twice and on the on 6th day her period started, can I ask so is it still possible for her to be pregnant?

B-Wise Expert Expert 26 March 2020 12:54

Hello there,

Its too early to detect a pregnancy after four days. You friend could have taken the emergency contraceptive pill to prevent pregnancy. Read more about a pill https://bwisehealth.com/article/different-kinds-of-contraceptives-and-family-planning-options-to-prevent-pregnancy

She still needs to take a pregnancy test after about 4 weeks. Also visit the cleaning for STI screening. Remember to always use a condom when having sex

B-Wise User Anonymous 23 November 2019 11:27

Hi I had my period a week ago and normally get bad cramps.two days after my period finished I got the cramps again and still have it. Should I be worried? Could it be caffeine or a sign that I'm not eating too much?please assist I'm stressed

B-Wise Expert Expert 25 November 2019 09:56

Hi there, thank you for your question. You may have a stomach bug that’s why you are experiencing cramps, it would be best that you get medication from the local doctor to help the cramps.

B-Wise User Cuttie 27 September 2019 23:29

I was having unstoppable period for about three weeks and I went to the clinic and I was given the pills and the period stopped but then it started again and there are no more pills left now What should I do?

B-Wise Expert Expert 30 September 2019 11:09

Hi there, please go back to the clinic a doctor or nurse will give you a different  medication

B-Wise User Anonymous 18 September 2019 16:47

What if you dont get you period for 1month??

B-Wise Expert Expert 20 September 2019 13:02

Hi there, thank you for your question. If you have had unprotected sex it would be best that you take a home pregnancy test, if not stress, a contraceptive as well as illness can change your period.

B-Wise User Anonymous 17 August 2019 14:11

Hi my periods did not come this month and I know I'm not pregnant so should I go and see a doctor

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 August 2019 07:21

Hi there, before you go to your local clinic, the this article https://bwisehealth.com/article/when-your-period-signals-a-problem-menstrual-problems-that-may-need-medical-attention

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 April 2019 21:11

To the girl who asked if it is normal to go on your menstruation for 14 days.... It is normal because people who go on their periods for 7-14 days are people who have high chances of having twins if they get pregnant

B-Wise Expert Expert 12 April 2019 11:32

Hi thank you for your question. The number of days that you get your period does not determine what child you will have or how many children you will have

B-Wise User hloniphile02 31 October 2018 16:16

Hi am having my periods on irregularly date what is wrong it's normal

B-Wise Expert Expert 1 November 2018 08:26

Hi there, there are a number of reasons why you could get your period on a different date such as stress, hormonal changes, change in your daily routine or even using a contraceptive.

B-Wise User Kate 25 April 2018 20:54

Hi my periods come after a few month and when it is a heavy flow and they can last for 2 weeks

B-Wise Expert Expert 10 May 2018 14:18

Hi there Kate. There are many reasons why your period cycle may change such as using a contraceptive or taking certain medication.  The best thing is to go  to the clinic so they can check you and give you the right treatment for you.

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 December 2017 23:02

Hi, 4 months has passed and the girl I slept with hasn't had any of her periods... is it possible she might be pregnant?

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 December 2017 11:29

If you had sex without a condom with a woman/girl who’s not using any form of pregnancy prevention method (e.g. the injection or pill), there’s chance she may be pregnant. There are, however, other reasons why she might not be getting her period – for example, if she is on a contraceptive such as the family planning injection. If she is very fit, or if has an eating disorder such as anorexia, this usually affects the menstrual cycle (check out our article on What is anorexia? to find out more on anorexia). Sickness or gynaecological problems could be another reason for irregular periods. It would be best for her to visit a local clinic to get checked by a doctor or a nurse so they can tell her exactly what the problem may be. It’s also best that you both test for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), like HIV, syphilis, gonorrhoea (“drop”), hepatitis, chlamydia, etc. and be sure to use a condom each time you have sex. You can use the Clinic Finder to find a clinic near you. Don’t forget to rate the clinic you have chosen.

B-Wise User Anonymous 11 November 2017 14:59

Hi. I've been having strangely irregular periods for the past few months, I'm on nur-isterate and I understand that irregular periods is one of the side effects. But is it okay to have my period for almost 4 weeks? What do I do when it happens after 2 weeks consecutively? Do I need to see a doctor?

B-Wise Expert Expert 15 November 2017 18:20

Hi Anonymous. Thank you for your question.  All injectable contraceptives, including Nur-isterate, often do cause irregular periods.  Usually, this includes breakthrough bleeding (bleeding in between periods), spotting (light bleeding noticed when your period is not expected) and short periods of amenorrhea (absence of periods).  For prolonged and unusual heavy bleeding, it is best to visit a doctor and have a check-up and some tests done to make sure it is nothing serious.  The doctor will test for things like pregnancy, do a pap-smear and basic blood tests.  If everything is normal, there are various treatment options available, and you and your doctor can discuss which option suits you best.

B-Wise User Anonymous 20 September 2017 21:13

hi am woried about my menstrual cycle normally ma date come first week of de month.wat wories is dat dey come every after 2wiks cns from last months sonetym it jst a period pains no bleeding

B-Wise Expert Expert 23 September 2017 10:31

Hi anonymous, in order to get more help with the problems you are having, it is important that you visit your nearest clinic. A health care worker will have to examine you to see what the problem could be. Use the B-Wise Clinic Finder to find a clinic near you: https://bwisehealth.com/clinic/search/