Who can I trust with my secrets?

If you have a secret – something that makes you feel scared, angry or ashamed – who do you tell? Maybe you keep it to yourself and don’t tell anybody. That's okay if that works for you, and you can let it go. But what if it keeps bothering you? What if the problem keeps on happening and doesn't get better?

Maybe you tell your friends. Friends are great because they can back you up when you're right or call you out when you're wrong. But they can't always help you out in all the right ways. However, friends may not always have the knowledge, or the connections, or the money to solve your problems. There's also a chance that they will judge you, or won't understand your problem.

So speaking to a trusted adult can be a good idea when you need more serious help. You may feel the safest person to tell is your caregiver or adult you are close to. They know you well, and they might know best how to help you feel better. Make sure it's an adult who will act in your best interests and can keep your secrets to themselves. Healthcare workers (like doctors, nurses and psychologists) are good at keeping secrets, because they have to keep your information safe and private.

If you have a problem at school, a teacher might be a good person to tell. Choose a teacher you feel safe with – you don't have to tell them everything, but if they know the school, maybe they know of a way to help you.

Remember – it's better to ask for help than to feel lost on your own. Secrets can be important, but you don't have to deal with them alone especially if it's a secret that bothers you.

Likes

B-Wise User Anonymous 29 May 2020 20:33

Hello Am scared to talk to my elders 'coz they're too much for me but how can I help my self

B-Wise Expert Expert 31 May 2020 16:26

Use the contact information below to talk to a counselor who can give you advice:

Get in touch with LoveLife's Contact Centre on 0800 121 900 or send a PLZ CAL ME to 083 323 1023

You can also whatsapp Life Line at 065 989 9238

B-Wise User Anonymous 9 April 2020 22:59

No one you can trust but only god

B-Wise Expert Expert 11 April 2020 15:41

God is important but try and find people around you who you can trust and share things with.

B-Wise User Matomane 5 August 2019 16:43

I don't trust anyone in my secrets i keep them inside my heart and act like i don't have secrets

B-Wise User Ambrosia 19 June 2019 13:40

I used to tell my mom all my secrets but when she's angry she don't even want to listen to me anymore so i don't know who to trust anymore so who can i trust?

B-Wise Expert Expert 21 June 2019 07:33

Hi there, read this article to learn more https://bwisehealth.com/article/who-can-i-trust-with-my-secrets

B-Wise User Anonymous 12 May 2019 11:56

I used to tell my mom about evrything that's happening in my life but when she is angry with me all she does is to reveal my secrets so i don't know who to trust with my secrets anymore so who can i trust??

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2019 10:01

Hi there, thank you for your question. It must be very difficult for you to open up to your mum and she reveals your secrets. It may be difficult for your mum to understand what you may be going through or how important it is for her to keep your secrets. It would be a good idea to talk to your mum about how you feel, tell her how it makes you feel when she reveals your secrets. You can also share your secrets with a friend that you trust that may understand you a bit better.

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2019 10:01

B-Wise Expert Expert 13 May 2019 10:01

B-Wise User Anonymous 2 August 2017 15:13

I don't trust anyone with my secrets I keep them inside my heart don't trust anyone even your mother but dats my opinion.

B-Wise Expert Expert 19 April 2018 17:24

Hi, thank you for your feedback. It seems like you may be finding it difficult deciding who you could trust with your secrets. Read this article it may help you decide who you can trust  Who can I trust with my secrets?

B-Wise User Anonymous 4 July 2017 00:26

I used to tell my mother whats happening in granny house.like what's is right and what's is wrong and nower days she change she call me a liar.whom should i trust?

B-Wise Expert Expert 4 July 2017 13:31

Hi Anonymous thanks for your question. We’re sorry you’re going through that – it doesn’t feel good to be called a liar. When you’re trying to decide who you can trust, ask yourself:

·         Has this person ever lied to me or to someone else?

·         Has this person ever made me do something I was very uncomfortable with, or that went against my values?

If the answer is no, that’s a good sign. Someone you trust should want the best for you, and you should feel comfortable with them.

If you’re worried about something that’s happening at your granny’s house and you feel you should tell someone, try speaking to a teacher or a healthcare worker (like a nurse or a counsellor). They should be able to find you help if you need it. You can also look at our article “Who can I trust with my secrets?” for more help.