What is an erection?
An erection is when your penis becomes hard, enlarged and stands away from the body. This can happen while you are asleep, when you touch or rub against your penis, or when you are excited. During puberty, erections can happen for no reason at all. Once an erection goes away, either on its own or after ejaculation (the release of sperm through the tip of the penis), the penis becomes soft and shrinks in size.
Having problems with getting or keeping an erection?
Erection problems can happen now and again for many reasons — it could be because of something physical or psychological like exhaustion or nervousness, or sometimes because of medication that you are taking. But when your erection problems keep happening then you may have erectile dysfunction (ED). Erectile dysfunction can happen at any age, but it is more common in older men with health problems.
6 Reasons why you may have erection problems:
- Drinking too much alcohol or smoking cigarettes, marijuana (weed) or other drugs
- Physical problems, such as an injury to nerves or loss of blood flow to the penis
- Other health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure or prostate cancer
- Mental health problems like anxiety, and depression
- Side effects of certain medication
If you are having problems with having or keeping erections, visit the clinic or doctor for help.
Want to find out more about the male reproductive system? Click here
What is circumcision and does it hurt? Get your answers here